New quests do not show up in watches tab

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
OneManOnMars

New quests do not show up in watches tab

Post by OneManOnMars »

Hey,
I recently observed that newly added quests do not show up in the Watches tab when I try to observe the changes in states. They simply do not appear in the list. Is there something I have to do, after adding a new quest? Or do I have to refresh the quest-list in any way?

Tony Li

Re: New quests do not show up in watches tab

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If you've added a quest at runtime after using the Watches tab, try selecting Menu > Reset. This should refresh the Watches tab's cache of quest names.
OneManOnMars

Post by OneManOnMars »

Thank you, Toni,

However, this did not fix the problem. I even restarted unity with no success. The quests are still missing in the watches quest dropdown.

But they do appear for example in the Quest Conditions dropdown in the Dialogue System Trigger see here:

Do you have any other ideas?

While I was looking for a solution I stumbled over this here:
There seems to be no entry for quests. Is this how it should be?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

At runtime, is HammerFallDialogues loaded into memory? Is it assigned to the active Dialogue Manager's Initial Database field?
OneManOnMars

Post by OneManOnMars »

Hey Tony,

I am coming back to this thread since I still struggling with it. Most of the time, when I add a new quest it seems to work. Or it works after a certain time without me knowing what I did to make the quest appear in the "Watch" table.

But this time, I did clear all the player prefs for the quest state, I made sure the changes were saved but still the quest does not seem to exist in runtime.

I just added a new Quest: "FindTravelRepairKit"

I can see it here:

But then it does not appear in the run-time "watches"!

The HammerFallDialogues seem to be loaded. At least all other quests do work. And I can see the database here:

If I check the QuestState for it: It just returnes null:

Code: Select all

Debug.Log("RepairKit Quest is: " + QuestLog.CurrentQuestState(RepairKitQuestname));

I would highly appreciate an approach to solve this. It seems to solve itself once in a while, at least it used to be like that. But if you need to test stuff, waiting to happen is a bit problematic.

Thank you for any good idea.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Are you saving and loading saved game at any point during this process? If so, it's possible that the old saved game doesn't have quests that were added to the database after saving the game.

In the Watches tab, what happens if you select Menu > Add All Quests? Does it add the missing quests?
OneManOnMars

Post by OneManOnMars »

Gosh, Tony! You are a genius, as always! The savegames - this was it. I deleted the current savegames and it does work.
I should have thought of that myself.

Anyway, I am happy that I know now how to fix this problem.

Thanks, again!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Glad to help! If you don't need to save all item and quest fields, you can untick the Dialogue Manager's Persistent Data Settings > Include All Item & Quest Data. This will only save quest states. When you load a saved game in this case, it will only update quest states. It won't restore the (smaller) quest list from the saved game.