Instantly display conversation

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
ricjonsu098

Instantly display conversation

Post by ricjonsu098 »

Hello, so the dialogue system has a typewriter effect write? So what I want is for a specific node, the text will be displayed instantly. Is it possible?

And also, is there a way to display alerts much longer?
Tony Li

Re: Instantly display conversation

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If you're using Unity UI for your dialogue UI, use the " \> " RPGMaker-style code at the beginning of the Dialogue Text. For example:
  • Dialogue Text: " \>This appears instantly! "
The Unity UI Typewriter Effect supports a bunch of special codes (see the link above) for controlling the typing speed.

If you're not using Unity UI, you can send the message "Stop" to the subtitle line. For example, say your dialogue UI's NPC Subtitle Line GameObject is named "NPC Subtitle Line". Use this sequencer command:
  • Dialogue Text: " This appears instantly! "
  • Sequence:

Code: Select all

SendMessage(Stop,,NPC SubtitleLine);
    Delay({{end}})
ricjonsu098

Post by ricjonsu098 »

Hello, how about to display alerts longer?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Sorry about that!

If you're showing alerts in code using DialogueManager.ShowAlert(), you can specify the duration in seconds as an optional second parameter. Otherwise, if no duration is specified, it's based on text length and the Subtitle Settings > Subtitle Chars Per Second/Min Subtitle Seconds values.

If you're using an Alert Trigger, you can specify the duration in the inspector.

The Increment On Destroy script currently uses the default duration, but in the next version I'll add the option to specify a duration.
ricjonsu098

Post by ricjonsu098 »

It's okey. Thanks for the info! I'll try using alert trigger.