Continue button & finicky controller input

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
firstlast

Continue button & finicky controller input

Post by firstlast »

I'm having an issue and I'm not sure if it is a dialogue system issue or a Unity UI or input system issue.

But basically, I find the subtitle UI to require multiple button presses on controller (XBOX one controller) to advance using the continue button. ~25% or less of the time it works fine but most of the time I need to smash the "A" button repeatedly to get it to register. The ability of the continue button to skip the typewriter effect often doesn't work because of this (as the text finishes animating before I can continue.) I have the conversation set to require continue to advance.

If I enable mouse, this doesn't seem to be an issue for the mouse interacting with the UI. I'm not sure exactly where to look to debug this issue.
Tony Li

Re: Continue button & finicky controller input

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Maybe something else is stealing focus (selection). Keep an inspector view on the EventSystem while playing in the editor's play mode. The bottom of the inspector will show the current selection. Is it oscillating?

If you haven't ticked the Dialogue Manager's Input Device Manager component > Always Auto Focus checkbox, try ticking it.
firstlast

Post by firstlast »

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have the Always Auto Focus checkbox selected and the Event System shows that the correct button is being focused on. It doesn't change to anything else.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions. When Always Auto Focus is ticked and continue button mode is on and the Dialogue System is showing a subtitle, it checks that the continue button is focused (selected). It checks on a frequency specified by the StandardUISubtitlePanel's Focus Check Frequency (e.g., every 0.1 seconds). If it's not selected, the Dialogue System selects it. Apart from that, everything else related to the continue button is purely Unity UI / EventSystem. Maybe you can get some debug info from the EventSystem's InputSystemUIInput module?
firstlast

Post by firstlast »

I think I may have corrected the issue. When you add an EventSystem, it has the StandaloneInputModule by default, but prompts you to replace with the InputSystemUIInputModule if you are using the new input system; which I had done.

I switched back to the StandaloneInputModule and it seems to be much more responsive.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Sounds good. If you're using both input systems at the same time (in Player Settings you can choose built-in input manager, Input System, or both), StandaloneInputModule is probably the more stable choice.