Change delay of response panel appearing

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
AlGicquelOneiric

Change delay of response panel appearing

Post by AlGicquelOneiric »

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out how to personalize the dialogue system (I have 2.2.28).
I've noticed that in both demo scenes, the response panel takes quit some time to appear (around 3 seconds).
Is there any way to reduce that delay?

Thanks.
Tony Li

Re: Change delay of response panel appearing

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

The response menu shows up once the preceding dialogue entry's Sequence has finished. If you haven't set the dialogue entry's Sequence field, it will play the Dialogue Manager's Display Settings > Camera & Cutscene Settings > Default Sequence, which is initially set to: Delay({{end}}). This delays for a duration specified by the keyword {{end}}. The value of this keyword is based on the text length and Display Settings > Subtitle Settings > Subtitle Chars Per Second and Min Subtitle Seconds. For example, if the text is 150 characters long as Subtitle Chars Per Second is 30, then {{end}} will be 150/30, or 5 seconds. For more info on sequences, see Cutscene Sequences.

If you're using a typewriter effect on your subtitle text and you want to delay only until the typewriter has finished, you can either change the Dialogue Manager's Default Sequence to:

Code: Select all

Continue()@Message(Typed)
or set Character Subtitle Seconds to the same value as the typewriter effect's Characters Per Second (e.g., 50) and Min Subtitle Seconds to a low value such as 0.5.