Hiding the continue button and dialogue box for Timeline cutscenes.

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
MasterDavicous

Hiding the continue button and dialogue box for Timeline cutscenes.

Post by MasterDavicous »

Hello! I'm relatively new to the Dialogue System. I have a Timeline cutscene in Unity, and I have my dialogue box sequenced with it so that it continues the text at the appropriate time. I have two things which I'm having trouble accomplishing:

1. I would like to hide the continue button during Timeline cutscenes, because I have the text timed how I want it. However, when I turn the Continue Button setting to Never, it will hide the button, but my text will continue right away on its own regardless of my triggers on my Timeline. I would like to just hide the continue button for my Timeline cutscenes, but also have it available/visible for regular NPC dialogue interactions.

2. I would also like to be able to hide and show the dialogue box UI between extended periods where a piece of text finishes, and there is a significant amount of time during the cutscene before the text continues. Is the best way to accomplish this just by disabling the Dialogue Panel gameObject and re-enabling it before the Continue Dialogue trigger, or is there a way that's built in with the Dialogue System to do this?

Thanks for your time! :D
Tony Li

Re: Hiding the continue button and dialogue box for Timeline cutscenes.

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
MasterDavicous wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:54 pm1. I would like to hide the continue button during Timeline cutscenes, because I have the text timed how I want it. However, when I turn the Continue Button setting to Never, it will hide the button, but my text will continue right away on its own regardless of my triggers on my Timeline. I would like to just hide the continue button for my Timeline cutscenes, but also have it available/visible for regular NPC dialogue interactions.
Create a dialogue UI that doesn't have continue buttons. For example, duplicate Letterbox Standard Dialogue UI, edit the duplicate, and remove the NPC Subtitle Panel & PC Subtitle Panel Continue Buttons. Then add an Override Dialogue UI component to the actor or conversant GameObject, an assign the duplicate UI to it. The conversation will wait for a continue button click, but since the UI doesn't have continue buttons the player won't be able to click to continue. Instead, the Continue Conversation clip will simulate a continue button click, advancing the conversation.
MasterDavicous wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:54 pm2. I would also like to be able to hide and show the dialogue box UI between extended periods where a piece of text finishes, and there is a significant amount of time during the cutscene before the text continues. Is the best way to accomplish this just by disabling the Dialogue Panel gameObject and re-enabling it before the Continue Dialogue trigger, or is there a way that's built in with the Dialogue System to do this?
Disable the dialogue UI's Canvas component, or use the HidePanel() sequencer command in your dialogue entry's Sequence or the conversation's Default Sequence. For example, leave the dialogue entries' Sequence fields blank, and set the conversation's Conversation Properties > Override Display Settings > Camera & Cutscen Settings > Default Sequence to: HidePanel()@{{end}}

This will hide the subtitle panels after a duration based on the text length.