DS Save System and TDE Save System

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
alexjet1000

DS Save System and TDE Save System

Post by alexjet1000 »

Hi! :D

Im starting to set up save strategy for my game.
I use some MM scripts for my character, so i was considering using its Save System.
However, i just saw how good DS Save System is, so im scratching my head trying to decide which to use as primary.
Im specially having trouble to understand what are the main difference between them, and which would save me more time or is more powerful.
Im also using the DS Menu System as for now.

My game has characters that move between scenes, and then there is my main character.
The other characters dont use TDE, and thats why i thought on not using its save system and keep DS.
Just for simplicity so i dont have to fight with two save systems (in case it gets hard to handle).

I read the integration available and how to set them up, but could you give any recomendations?

Thanks! :)
Tony Li

Re: DS Save System and TDE Save System

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

The DS Menu Framework addon uses the DS save system, so you might just want to use the DS save system.

However, if you want to use the MM save system, you can set up the DS save system components and add a DialogueSystemTopDownEventListener to the Dialogue Manager. The MM save system will then grab and store save data from the DS save system as part of its own save.
alexjet1000

Post by alexjet1000 »

Hi.

Nice, i thought on keeping many of the global variables that i want to save as DS Variables, this way they will be saved when the DS does so.
However, some of them are updated very often (like date minutes).

Is it performant to update Dialogue System variables frequently?

Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

It's not as performant as a C# variable. If you're updating once a minute, that's fine. If you're updating once a frame, I recommend using a C# variable and registering C# methods to make them accessible in conversations' Conditions and Script fields. You'll need to write a saver script to save your C# variables.
alexjet1000

Post by alexjet1000 »

Hey,

Got it. Thank you !
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Happy to help!