[SOLVED] Show mouse cursor on dialogue and go away when done

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
supadupa64

[SOLVED] Show mouse cursor on dialogue and go away when done

Post by supadupa64 »

I don't use the mouse during game play, but when I interact with an NPC I want to use the mouse (it doesn't show). Then when I'm done (ending conversation) I want it to go away. I can only get the mouse to appear if I hit ESC, which is not what I want to do.

I figure this is an easy fix, any ideas? THANKS!
Last edited by supadupa64 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Li

Re: Show mouse cursor on dialogue and go away when done

Post by Tony Li »

Yup, easy fix. Add a Show Cursor On Conversation component to your player.
supadupa64

Re: Show mouse cursor on dialogue and go away when done

Post by supadupa64 »

SOLVED!

I actually had to search for the script instead and found it under "add component."
Tony Li

Re: [SOLVED] Show mouse cursor on dialogue and go away when done

Post by Tony Li »

Sorry, I forgot to mention where it's at. You could also use the menu item Component > Dialogue System > Trigger > On Dialogue Event > Show Cursor On Conversation. Glad it's working!
Brijac

Post by Brijac »

Hello, one question about this. My cursor works fine with everything set up like above in this topic except when the NPC has the last dialogue entry and I press ESC before the typing text finishes. This finishes the conversation immediately and the cursor stays visible. If I press LMB it disappears. Do you know why this happens?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Are you doing this in the editor? The Esc key shows the cursor in the editor. Please try a build and let me know if the issue persists
Brijac

Post by Brijac »

Tony Li wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:53 pm Hi,

Are you doing this in the editor? The Esc key shows the cursor in the editor. Please try a build and let me know if the issue persists
You're right. That's not happening while running a build. My bad.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

No problem. Glad it's working!
geoffa

Post by geoffa »

Hello. I'm curious if something has changed since this was solved. I no longer see the Show Cursor On Conversation component. I actually don't even see "Trigger" components at all. I only see "Third Party Components" when I look at Components > Dialogue System.

From what I can tell, I have my scene set up the same as the demo scene. However my mouse cursor is being shown all the time. In the demo scene, the cursor is only shown when interacting with a usable object. I've looked through all the items in the demo scene and can't find what I'm missing to hide the mouse cursor as expected.

Thanks for any help!
-geoff
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Geoff,

The Show Cursor On Conversation component was deprecated. (It's still manually available if you drag the script onto a GameObject.) Instead, inspect the Dialogue System Trigger component and tick Actions > Start Conversation > Show Cursor During Conversation.

The Input Device Manager component controls mouse cursor visibility by default. If you don't want it to control the cursor, inspect the Dialogue Manager. UNtick Input Device Manager > Control Cursor State.