How Can I Hold My subtitle? Synchronize dialogue with timeline

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
sabther

How Can I Hold My subtitle? Synchronize dialogue with timeline

Post by sabther »

Hello There

I am trying to Synchronize the subtitle dialogue with the Unity timeline system.

The dialogue normally jump to the next line right after the char been revealed, but I want to make the appear the same time with the voice over.

I tried to hold the line by using a variable as condition, but the dialogue system UI simply deactivate when it realizes it got no place to go (after the variable == false, and it need true to move on).

Is there a way I can make this happen? This is vital important to my project. I think the [ continue bottom ] may do the work but I do not know How to call it using an external script. Also the text will always appear before I click the button.

Thank you very much!
Tony Li

Re: How Can I Hold My subtitle? Synchronize dialogue with timeline

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

You can use a Continue Conversation track as described at 01:38 of this tutorial on using Timeline:

Cheesee09

Post by Cheesee09 »

How can I make my npc face my direction when I start a conversation? When I go behind the npc the trigger for conversation appears and when I start the conversation the npc don't face in my direction
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Set the first dialogue entry node's Sequence field to something like:

Code: Select all

LookAt(listener);
{{default}}
This assumes the node is spoken by the NPC. The first line makes the speaker (the NPC) face the listener. The second line plays whatever the Dialogue Manager's Default Sequence is.
sabther

Post by sabther »

Hi
I watched the video

Can you explain a little bit of the "default sequence wait for ever" thing , in a more technical way which mentioned in the video?

thank you
sabther

Post by sabther »

And the problem with the continue conversation track is the text will always appear on the screen. If I want to create a cinematic experience it should be only appear for a certain duration of time .
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

The Dialogue System can be configured to show a continue button with each subtitle. If you've the Dialogue System to wait for a continue button click, it will keep the subtitle onscreen until the player clicks the continue button, even after the subtitle's sequence has finished. If the player clicks the continue button, the conversation progresses past the subtitle, even if the sequence hasn't finished yet. (If you want to guarantee that a sequencer command runs even if the player continues early, use the "required" keyword.)

The Continue Conversation track simulates a click of the continue button, even if an actual continue button is not currently visible on the UI.

By setting the sequence to WaitForMessage(Forever), the sequence will wait for a (bogus) sequencer message "Forever", which it will never receive, leaving the subtitle onscreen forever -- or until the Continue Conversation track simulates a continue button click.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

sabther wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:18 pmAnd the problem with the continue conversation track is the text will always appear on the screen. If I want to create a cinematic experience it should be only appear for a certain duration of time .
Just add a node with no text for the durations during which you don't want to show any text.
Cheesee09

Post by Cheesee09 »

Hello again when my game starts it shows the cursor. How can I remove that? Before I added dialogue manager prefab when I press play there's no mouse cursor but when I added it and the NPCs with dialogue it displays the mouse cursor on play