Timeline Continue Conversation problem: only last clips are played

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Zaadschaap

Timeline Continue Conversation problem: only last clips are played

Post by Zaadschaap »

Hello all,

so this is my first post on the board and I hope someone can help me.

I'm trying out the cool feature of continue conversation through the unity timeline. It's a simple dialogue between two characters, nothing special. It's about 9 different texts/nodes.

So I have two tracks set up. One with the start conversation track which contains one 'clip' and links to the conversation. The second track is a continue conversation track where I added clips in at the point that I want the dialog to move to the next node.

Now the start clip plays perfect, but as soon as that one is finished, and reaches the clip in the continue conversation track, the dialog skips almost all nodes and simply plays the last two (varies) clips.

I am a beginner with the dialogue system so I probably am overlooking something really simple :-D

Thanks for any help!

cheers,
Andreas
Tony Li

Re: Timeline Continue Conversation problem: only last clips are played

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Andreas,

Welcome!

Are all of the nodes' Sequence fields set to "WaitForMessage(Forever)"? Alternatively, they can be blank if you've set the Default Sequence to this. You can either set the Default Sequence on the Dialogue Manger GameObject or specifically for a single conversation by inspecting the conversation's properties and ticking the Override checkboxes.

Are there any errors or warnings in the Console window?

Is a player actor or non-player actor assigned to the nodes? (A player actor is one whose Is Player checkbox is ticked.)

I don't know if this makes a difference, but try shortening the continue clips so they don't overlap.

What versions of Unity and the Dialogue System are you using?
Zaadschaap

Post by Zaadschaap »

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using unity version 2018.2.15f1 and version 1.8.6. of the dialogue system.

So I put the "WaitForMessage(Forever)" in the conversation override checkbox part.

Like I said before, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to Dialogue System, but this conversation is started by a NPC and it's involves the Player as a second node. Sort of like this:

Other then that I just tried to follow your tutorial about the timeline and I think there is no overlap:

But the only thing that happens now is that the first and second node are shown, and after that nothing, unless I click on continue, but then the whole thing starts again from node 1.

I hope I am making myself clear...because I have no idea what I'm doing ;-)

Thanks!

p.s. yes, my game contains strong language, sorry about that ;)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I have never tested the Continue Conversation track with version 1.x of the Dialogue System. It was developed for version 2.x. I'm surprised it even compiles. Are you sure you're using 1.8.6? How did you get the Continue Conversation timeline code into it? Does your project have a file Plugins > Pixel Crushers > Dialogue System > _README.txt? If so, what version does it say?

By default, player nodes appear in a response menu and wait for the player to click a response button. Did you untick Always Force Response Menu to disable this behavior?

You can try setting the Default Player Sequence to "WaitForMessage(Forever)", too.
Zaadschaap

Post by Zaadschaap »

Hi Tony,

you are right, I don't know where I got the version number from but it's wrong. The text file says I'm running 2.0.5 of the dialogue system. Sorry about that.

So I unticked the Always force response menu checkbox, and now it runs better, except for the fact that it only shows the text of the NPC and not of the player. Is this something to do with the fact that the player is not first in the nodes?

And again, thanks for the fast reply!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Tick the Dialogue Manager's Subtitle Settings > Show PC Subtitles During Line.
Zaadschaap

Post by Zaadschaap »

Thanks Tony! I just had to also tick Show PC Subtitles during Line option and now it works!

Thanks for helping me out on this! I'm one happy game dev now :-D
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Awesome! Glad to help.