Override Unity UI Dialogue Controls

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Alatriste

Override Unity UI Dialogue Controls

Post by Alatriste »

Hello,

I trying to use the Override Unity UI Dialogue Controls in one of my characters, because I want to control the UI Visibility. However, it seems to ignore that script, as it's following what is set up by the Unity UI Dialogue UI Script, despite the check in the "Find Actor Overrides". I'm probably missing something here.

I tried to make changes in the general script, like "UI Visibility -> Only during content" and then set up the character UI Visibility with the override script as "Always from start". But it seems that "Only during content" is the one working. The field options are assigned to the same fields the Unity UI Dialogue Script.
Tony Li

Re: Override Unity UI Dialogue Controls

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

In version 1.x, "Always From Start" only works for the primary actor and conversant, and only for the dialogue UI's built-in panels, not overrides. (Version 2.x checks all actors used in the conversation, and it also finds any overrides that they are using.) However, I'm sure there's a way to set this up in version 1.x. What end result do you want? Do you want a character with an Override Unity UI Dialogue Controls to appear as soon as the conversation starts?
Alatriste

Post by Alatriste »

What I try to achieve is that the conversant is always displayed at the start of the conversation even if the first dialogue is for the player. The problem of "Always from start" option is that it will do it with all the conversations, and as I'm playing some conversations for the player where there is not conversant, (I have a conversation that is only for descriptions), the image for a conversant is showed (in my case a white canvas). So as you can see, in some conversations, I need "Always from start" (when there is actually a real npc to converse with) and other times just "Always once shown" (for the descriptions)

Maybe there could be ways to force this behavior from the dialogue itself?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

If you can update to version 1.8.1, which was released on the Asset Store today, it should work now. (Make a backup of your project first, just to be safe.) Here's an example scene: ShowPanelOnStart_2018-05-01.unitypackage
Alatriste

Post by Alatriste »

I updated but the issue is still there. Perhaps is something with my customized UI... I tried the example and the UI script attached to the conversant works fine so definitely is something on my side. I'll have to do more investigation, like using my UI with the example to see if everything is still working.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

That sounds like a good idea. Please feel free to send me a copy of your UI if you like. I'll be happy to take a look.