Articy importing conversations with more than 2 people.

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Munion

Post by Munion »

So our game requires conversations with 3 or more people in many places.  The system actually handles this quite well when actor/conversant is set up properly for each conversation node.  We even used custom ui to get the portraits to swap sides based on who is talking to whom.

What we are having trouble with is properly importing the actor/conversant from articy.  The articy import from what I can see, with your sample import and our current database, it is only using the first two participants in the conversation properties inside articy.  This sets up a default actor and conversant for the conversation.  If one of them is the actor for a node the other will be the conversant.  However if a 3rd person speaks then the default conversant is always the conversant.  All 3+ people will need to talk to each other at points so I need the conversant to change based on who is actually being talked to. It's not really ideal to manually fix this after importing every time.  This either requires our writers to work inside unity, or for me to take programming time to manually fix the database every time we import.

Also, while asking about articy import.  Is there any way to set the isPlayer bool inside articy.  I don't see where you guys set it if you did.  I know it's part of the default template in dialogue database so every actor gets the bool after import, but I haven't figured out how to set it for the player before import.  This is much more minor and fixable on import manually, but it would be nice if I didn't have to. Will just giving the player an isPlayer bool inside articy mess with how the template works inside database?  Never actually had the writer try that I just realized...

Thanks,

- Jon
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Jon,

Those are both good features that the Dialogue System's articy:draft converter doesn't support yet. In the next release, I'll update the converter to:

1. Not make the assumption that the conversant is the "other" character in the conversation. Use the value assigned in the dialogue fragment.

2. Look for an IsPlayer template property on the character entity. If present, use this instead of the setting in the converter window.

I'll send you a pre-release patch when I've implemented this.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Jon,

The "IsPlayer" feature made it into version 1.5.0, as described here (last paragraph of the articy:draft Entities section).

The ability to specify a different entity as a dialogue fragment's conversant made it into a patch released today. It's described in the articy:draft Dialogues > Conversant Entity Property section.

You can download the patch on the Pixel Crushers customer download site. I'll email you your access information. If anyone else needs access, please contact us with your Unity Asset Store invoice number.