VN Framework and Shortcuts

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Alatriste

VN Framework and Shortcuts

Post by Alatriste »

Hi Tony,

I recently found out about the shortcuts so I started using them. I found a problem when using them with the VN framework, though.

From the Gameplay scene, they work, but when the game is started from the Start scene they don't. If instead of the shortcut I use the complete sequence, it also works. I check that the Dialogue Manager has always the shortcut script, so I'm pretty sure I'm running the right version. Not sure what the problem can be.

And another question regarding saving:

In my project, I'm using also Playmaker so I have to use EasySave3 to save some data. It took me some time to wire everything up, as I'm also keeping the save system you included in the VN framework. I'm not sure whether is a good idea to keep both systems though. So far everything seems to work BUT, I'm using the SetActive actions to enable/disable some objects in the scene. When a dialogue runs from a saved game, does it keep track of the SetActive objects that were manipulated in previous nodes of the conversation?

Thanks!
Tony Li

Re: VN Framework and Shortcuts

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
Alatriste wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:02 amI recently found out about the shortcuts so I started using them. I found a problem when using them with the VN framework, though.

From the Gameplay scene, they work, but when the game is started from the Start scene they don't. If instead of the shortcut I use the complete sequence, it also works. I check that the Dialogue Manager has always the shortcut script, so I'm pretty sure I'm running the right version. Not sure what the problem can be.
Does the Dialogue Manager in the Start scene have the Sequencer Shortcuts component?
Alatriste wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:02 amAnd another question regarding saving:

In my project, I'm using also Playmaker so I have to use EasySave3 to save some data. It took me some time to wire everything up, as I'm also keeping the save system you included in the VN framework. I'm not sure whether is a good idea to keep both systems though. So far everything seems to work BUT, I'm using the SetActive actions to enable/disable some objects in the scene. When a dialogue runs from a saved game, does it keep track of the SetActive objects that were manipulated in previous nodes of the conversation?
In this case, use ES3 as the primary save system. When saving, use the Dialogue System PlayMaker Save Game action to save the Dialogue System's data to a PlayMaker string variable. Then save this variable with ES3. When loading, get the string from ES3 and use the Load Game action to apply it.
Alatriste

Post by Alatriste »

Does the Dialogue Manager in the Start scene have the Sequencer Shortcuts component?
Yes, it has it.
In this case, use ES3 as the primary save system. When saving, use the Dialogue System PlayMaker Save Game action to save the Dialogue System's data to a PlayMaker string variable. Then save this variable with ES3. When loading, get the string from ES3 and use the Load Game action to apply it.
In this case, do I still need to keep the scripts related to saving in the Dialogue Manager?
And regarding the activation/deactivation of gameObjects that are controlled by the dialogues in the scene, are they been saved to the latest status?

Thanks!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Alatriste wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:00 am
Yes, it has it.
I think I see how this issue can happen. I'll work on a fix for the next release.
Alatriste wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:00 am
In this case, do I still need to keep the scripts related to saving in the Dialogue Manager?
Yes. But hook up the save and load UI to PlayMaker, use the Save Game action, and save the resulting string to ES3.
Alatriste wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:00 amAnd regarding the activation/deactivation of gameObjects that are controlled by the dialogues in the scene, are they been saved to the latest status?
Only if you configure them with ActiveSaver or PersistentActiveData components.
Alatriste

Post by Alatriste »

Thanks Tony!!!