DS UI for QM content

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
random

DS UI for QM content

Post by random »

Is there a simple way to have QM content be placed into my existing DS UI prefab? Or would it be less of a hassle to just create a near identical prefab and tailor it to QM?
Tony Li

Re: DS UI for QM content

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

What kind of Quest Machine content? You can use the integration's Lua functions to include quest counter values and quest states. For example:
  • Dialogue Text: "I need you to pick 3 carrots. You've currently picked [lua(GetQuestCounterValue("harvestCarrots", "carrots"))]."
random

Post by random »

Ah, fair question. I guess I was curious to see if there was a way to basically have the default QM quest offer window be translated into the DS UI.

For example, the buttons in the QM offer window that select quests would be turned into Response buttons in the DS UI
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Quest Machine's Dialogue System integration should already do that for you. There's an option on the integration's UI component.
random

Post by random »

Oh gotcha. I removed the default QM UI and it was giving me issues.

In the Quest offer section of a quest, I have it leading to a DS conversation. Is there a way to lead back to the generated conversation after a response has been selected?
random

Post by random »

Sorry got another side question in addition to the one above.

Maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's my custom DS UI. But by default, does it show active quests in addition to offerable quests when using DS UI?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

random wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:58 pmIn the Quest offer section of a quest, I have it leading to a DS conversation. Is there a way to lead back to the generated conversation after a response has been selected?
Do you mean the generated conversation that shows the list of quests that the player can talk about? If so, then in the response entry's Script field use the StartQuestListConversation("QuestGiverID") Lua function (e.g., in addition to GiveQuest()).
random wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:25 pmMaybe I'm missing something or maybe it's my custom DS UI. But by default, does it show active quests in addition to offerable quests when using DS UI?
Yes, the DialogueSystemQuestDialogueUI component on your Quest Machine GameObject should show all active and offerable quests that the quest giver can talk about.
random

Post by random »

Ah thanks, that worked!

However, when starting a new conversation when one has already been started, there is a slight flicker of the UI (obviously refreshing) where the entire UI window disappears and then reappears. Is there any way to prevent/work around that?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

It's something I'm going to look into. What's happening is that the original conversation ends, which closes the dialogue UI, and then the next conversation starts, which immediately reopens the dialogue UI. This will cause the visible flicker if your dialogue UI has any kind of show/hide animation. Instead, I need to get the integration to keep the dialogue UI open.
random

Post by random »

Sounds good, appreciate all the help Tony!