[Solved] Blank variables created

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
tomb

[Solved] Blank variables created

Post by tomb »

Hi Tony

I recently upgraded an existing project to Dialogue System 2.2.47 (using Unity version 2021.3.2f1).

Yesterday I noticed some blank variables at the end of the variables list.
blank variables.jpg
blank variables.jpg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 905 times

I checked the IDs and they were all new (I hadn't accidently removed the names of existing variables) so I was confident to go ahead and delete them. I had been adding some new variables so I thought maybe I double clicked the + button or something as it's never happened before.

Today I have found more blank variables at the end of the list, but I hadn't added any variables today (I did rename one). I checked the IDs and deleted them again.

A few minutes later another two blank variables have appeared.

Do you know what might be causing this?

Thank you

Tom
Last edited by tomb on Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Li

Re: Blank variables created

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

No, sorry, I don't know why that's happening. Does the same happen if you select Menu > Use Group Foldouts to turn off (untick) group foldouts?
tomb

Post by tomb »

Hi Tony

Yes it still happens that when Group Foldouts are turned off but I think I have worked out what is happening and can successfully recreate it in my project now.

Whenever I use the Lua Condition Wizard to add an existing variable to a Dialogue System Trigger in a scene, a new blank variable is created.

I can watch this happen in real time by first selecting the GameObject with the Dialogue System Trigger, then clicking on the Dialogue window and viewing the variables tab. Each time I add a Lua Condition using a variable on the Dialogue System Trigger, a new blank variable appears in the Dialogue Window.

I have opened a different project and see exactly the same behaviour there. This second project is a very recent one, just a few weeks old, using the same version of Dialogue System 2.2.47 and Unity 2022.3.39f1.

Edit: some additional info - it is not restricted to adding a Lua Condition via a Dialogue System Trigger. A blank variable is also created if I add a Lua Condition using an existing variable on a Dialogue Entry in the Conversations tab.

Let me know if there's any other info I can provide.

Thanks

Tom
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Tom,

I confirmed this bug. I'll post a patch here today.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

tomb

Post by tomb »

Amazing, thanks Tony!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help! Thanks for letting me know about the bug. The fix will also be in the upcoming v2.2.48.