Global Database deletes different variables in other?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
EpicMcDude

Global Database deletes different variables in other?

Post by EpicMcDude »

Hello,

Having an issue where adding a new variable to my Global Database will delete the variable in the Local database that I'm syncing with the Global one, taking its place.
I'm not sure how to add more variables to my Global since that will imply it's going to delete the variable in the next spot of the local database.

I don't know if this has to do with multiple databases overwriting values like it says in the manual, since they're different variables I though they would have different IDs.

In the attachment for example, the last variable in my Global Database is "Rodrigo Killed" - if I add a new variable it will take the place of "Remained Silent" variable from the Local database instead of adding it replaces the variable. Is there a way to work around this?
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-19 213728.png
Screenshot 2024-03-19 213728.png (5.24 KiB) Viewed 293 times
Tony Li

Re: Global Database deletes different variables in other?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Have you set different Base IDs in your databases? For example, leave your global database's Base ID at 0, and set the next database's Base ID to 1000, etc.

When you sync, it goes by ID. Otherwise if you were rename a variable in your global database it wouldn't sync properly to your other databases.
EpicMcDude

Post by EpicMcDude »

Tony Li wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:00 pm Hi,

Have you set different Base IDs in your databases? For example, leave your global database's Base ID at 0, and set the next database's Base ID to 1000, etc.

When you sync, it goes by ID. Otherwise if you were rename a variable in your global database it wouldn't sync properly to your other databases.
Ooops, I didn't even notice where to change the Base ID! I had the Emphasis settings dropdown always active so I missed it!

However, I changed them now and sure the Global Database is 0 and every other is a different ID and the problem still happens. It's like it doesn't push down the variables from the Local Database and instead starts "eating" them.

In this screenshot, I added a variable on the Global Database and it replaced the "Remaining Silent" variable with "New Variable 70" and it would do this for every variable in my Local Database if I started making new ones in the Global Database.

EDIT: Added more attachments
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-19 222125.png
Screenshot 2024-03-19 222125.png (15.45 KiB) Viewed 285 times
Screenshot 2024-03-19 222038.png
Screenshot 2024-03-19 222038.png (32.83 KiB) Viewed 285 times
Screenshot 2024-03-19 221745.png
Screenshot 2024-03-19 221745.png (35.1 KiB) Viewed 287 times
EpicMcDude

Post by EpicMcDude »

Okay, now the Dialogue System isn't working properly, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

None of the conversations seem to work when starting a conversation. It's getting conversation nodes from 3 different databases, they're not supposed to be loaded. I load a specific database for the scene after loading into the Scene.

The actors and conversation name don't match with the other database, how is it getting that conversation? The database that I loaded and the other databases from other scenes seem to be active at the same time. The conversation node that is active is green on all 3 databases but the wrong conversation is showing up in the UI, it's progressing through all 3 databases every time I select a response.

Nevermind the above, I ran the Unique ID Tool and everything is working correctly now! It must have been due to changing the Base ID on every Database, before doing that, it was probably treating every Database as the same since the ID was the same.

I just checked and it also fixed the variables replacing each other. It was all because of the ID of each Database. Thank you for the initial help, Tony!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Glad you got it working!