Autonumber messing up? (KeyTrigger invasion has begun!)

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
_marc

Autonumber messing up? (KeyTrigger invasion has begun!)

Post by _marc »

Hi Tony!

I'm experiencing strange behavior with the autonumber feature for the response menu of the dialogue system. At some point in the dialogue the keys select the wrong responses. I wonder if there is not a problem in the code:

Code: Select all

button.text = string.Format(m_processedAutonumberFormat, buttonNumber + 1, button.text);
                    var keyTrigger = button.GetComponent<UIButtonKeyTrigger>();
                    if (autonumber.regularNumberHotkeys)
                    {
                        if (keyTrigger == null) keyTrigger = button.gameObject.AddComponent<UIButtonKeyTrigger>();
                        keyTrigger.key = (KeyCode)((int)KeyCode.Alpha1 + buttonNumber);
                    }
                    if (autonumber.numpadHotkeys)
                    {
                        if (autonumber.regularNumberHotkeys || keyTrigger == null) keyTrigger = button.gameObject.AddComponent<UIButtonKeyTrigger>();
                        keyTrigger.key = (KeyCode)((int)KeyCode.Keypad1 + buttonNumber);
                    }
My understanding of the problem:
I'm using numpad hotkeys & regularNumberHotkeys.
So, 2 KeyTrigger components are added per button on the first response menu display,
Then, on the next response menu, the response buttons are reused from the pool and a 3rd KeyTrigger component is added (because autonumber.numpadHotkeys is true and autonumber.regularNumberHotkeys is also true). At this point, the key binding still works. But after several response menu displays, there are a lot of KeyTriggers components per button, and some of the components coming from the pool don't have their key updated resulting in a big mess :-)
autonumber.png
autonumber.png (49.82 KiB) Viewed 73 times
The workaround I've found is to delete all KeyTriggers (with GetComponents()) each time:

Code: Select all

button.text = string.Format(m_processedAutonumberFormat, buttonNumber + 1, button.text);
                    UIButtonKeyTrigger[] keyTriggers = button.GetComponents<UIButtonKeyTrigger>();
                    for (int i = 0; i < keyTriggers.Length; i++)
                    {
                        Destroy(keyTriggers[i]);
                    }
                    if (autonumber.regularNumberHotkeys)
                        button.gameObject.AddComponent<UIButtonKeyTrigger>().key = (KeyCode)((int)KeyCode.Alpha1 + buttonNumber);
                    if (autonumber.numpadHotkeys)
                        button.gameObject.AddComponent<UIButtonKeyTrigger>().key = (KeyCode)((int)KeyCode.Keypad1 + buttonNumber);
It works fine, even if it's less optimized than your initial code. Maybe you'll find a better way to fix it in a later version, I don't know.
I just wanted to let you know about this problem.

Bye!

Marc
Tony Li

Re: Autonumber messing up? (KeyTrigger invasion has begun!)

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Marc,

That's a bug! Thanks for pointing it out. New response menu buttons used to be instantiated every time a new menu was shown. Response buttons are now recycled from a pool to be more memory efficient. However, the recycling code isn't checking to see if the reused button has UIButtonKeyTrigger components already. I'll make the change you suggest above.