Stopping conversation

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
AmirK17.

Stopping conversation

Post by AmirK17. »

Hi Tony,

I am making a visual novel and have Dialogue System, Articy Draft and Adventure Creator. I have added my dialogue into the Dialogue Manager 'Initial Database' and am using the AC 'Cutscenes' feature to change the backgrounds and add in character images for my game. The problem is, I don't know how to stop the dialogue at certain points so I can add in the characters or make changes to the background - currently I can only make these changes at the beginning or at the end of scenes/dialogue sequences. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks,
Amir
Tony Li

Re: Stopping conversation

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Amir,

If you want to end a conversation in C# use DialogueManager.StopConversation(), or use the equivalent AC action.

If you want to do something when the conversation reaches a specific dialogue entry (dialogue fragment in Articy), use a sequencer command. For example, if you want to run an AC actionlist, use the AC() sequencer command in the dialogue fragment's Stage Direction or Sequence field. If you also want that dialogue entry to play the default sequence (e.g., delay for a duration based on text length), include "{{default}};" in the Sequence/Stage Directions.
AmirK17.

Post by AmirK17. »

Thanks so much for your reply Tony.

How do I add an AC() sequencer command in the dialogue fragment's Stage Direction or Sequence field? Can this be done in the Dialogue Manager under 'Conversations' or does this need to be added in Articy Draft? And what would be the exact input for this also? For example, I have an Action List Asset named 'Add image' - would the input for this be 'AC(actionlist[Add Image])' or something else?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Add it in Articy. Since you're using Articy, try not to make changes to your dialogue database in Unity. Let the Articy version be the authoritative version. Otherwise, if you're making changes in both places, it can become a versioning nightmare.

The Dialogue System's Articy import window has an option to import Stage Directions as sequences. If you choose to do this, you can put sequencer commands in dialogue fragments' Stage Directions fields. For more info about sequencer commands in general, please see Sequencer Commands.

For the AC() command, set Stage Directions to:

Code: Select all

{{default}}; AC(Add Image)
The Action List Asset should be in a folder named Resources.
AmirK17.

Post by AmirK17. »

This has worked great, thanks very much Tony.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Happy to help!