Conversation portrait animations

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

Re: Conversation portrait animations

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks. I received your project. I'll get it downloaded and reply back to your email by tomorrow morning.
Oskar

Post by Oskar »

Hi Tony! Thanks for helping us with our portrait animations; they worked great :) there's just one more question I'd ask you about these: during dialogue, when a character portrait switches to another one, the sliding animation doesn't trigger, but switches instantly. Do you have suggestions on how we could trigger the slide animation when character portraits switch between each other during the same conversation?

I attach an image of the animation controller that's doing the sliding.

Thank you!
Attachments
dialogueController.png
dialogueController.png (35.05 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Try setting the subtitle panel's Visibility to Until Superceded Or Actor Change. When the actor changes but wants to use the same subtitle panel, it will hide and then show the subtitle panel. If this doesn't give you the behavior you're looking for, let me know.
Oskar

Post by Oskar »

I tried changing visibility to until superceded or actor change, but that didn't do the trick yet. We have our dialogue system set so that every actor has its own subtitle panel like shown in the picture.
Attachments
dialogueSetUp.png
dialogueSetUp.png (91.72 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

There was a bug in DS version 2.2.42 and some earlier versions that affected Until Superceded Or Actor Change. It's fixed in 2.2.43, which is scheduled for release soon. Please try this patch in the meantime:

DS_UntilSupercededEtcPatch_2024-02-07.unitypackage
Oskar

Post by Oskar »

Unfortunately didn't get it working yet. Just to clarify, does this solution still work if our dialogue system uses different subtitle panel for every NPC, but the same portrait image? In other words; our actors are not using the same subtitle panel, but only changing the portrait image.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Yes, it will work in that setup, too. Can you send me a reproduction project that doesn't work the way you want, along with a description of how you'd like it to work differently?
Oskar

Post by Oskar »

I sent you the project via email. Thanks!