ReferenceException with Quest Log Window

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
MasterDavicous

ReferenceException with Quest Log Window

Post by MasterDavicous »

Hello,
I am having an issue with the Quest Log Window. I am containing it in my pause menu, along with some other UI elements, like a game pause menu and a world map. Each of these menus have a CanvasGroup, and I added a CanvasGroup onto the parent Quest Log Window object so that it can toggle IsInteractable on and off while shifting through these menu items. It works as intended, except I am also getting a NullReferenceException error any time I interact with any UI element on the Quest Log Window. It seems to be a problem with the OnQuestListUpdated() function. I made sure that the scripts on it had all the same fields filled out as the Basic Standard Quest Log Window prefab, so I am unsure as to why this error is occuring. Here are screenshots of how the menu looks in game, as well as the error message I receive.
QuestLogProblem1.JPG
QuestLogProblem1.JPG (137.04 KiB) Viewed 617 times
QuestLogProblem2.JPG
QuestLogProblem2.JPG (114.8 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Tony Li

Re: ReferenceException with Quest Log Window

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Would it be possible to back up your project (just to be safe), make sure the backup is good, and update to the current Dialogue System version? Then check if the issue still occurs. If so, please take another screenshot of the Console like you did above.
MasterDavicous

Post by MasterDavicous »

Hi Tony,

I have updated to the latest version of Dialogue System for Unity. The update went smoothly, but I am still left with the same NullReferenceException error when interacting with the Quest Log Window. I will try to investigate the error further on my own, but I am curious if I am missing something with this error.
QuestLogProblem3.JPG
QuestLogProblem3.JPG (124.72 KiB) Viewed 602 times
MasterDavicous

Post by MasterDavicous »

Hi Tony,
So I figured out the problem based on that warning about the Main Panel not being assigned. I had it assigned in my Quest Log Window prefab, but when I had put that prefab inside my pause menu prefab, it somehow got unassigned.

So sorry for taking your time. Hope you have a good day.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Glad you found the issue!