can't get continue button to work

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
mleone20

can't get continue button to work

Post by mleone20 »

Hi!
I can't get the continue button to work with the new input system pressing the Submit button (mapped to the default value) using the keyboard. It's the only button that doesn't work during a dialogue and it doesn't work only with a Keyboard Input (i can click on it with the mouse and it works and i it works with a gamepad).

Is there any particular thing that I have to do?

Things i tried:
- If i set the Cancel subtitle input to the "Tab" key, the "Tab" key works and cancel the subtitle.
- Tick the "Always auto focus" in the Input Device Manager
Tony Li

Re: can't get continue button to work

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Keep an inspector view on the EventSystem GameObject. In play mode, the bottom of the inspector will show which UI button, if any, is currently selected. When the subtitle panel appears, make sure the continue button is selected. (Always Auto Focus should ensure that it's selected.)

If it's selected, then make sure the EventSystem GameObject has an InputSystemUIInputModule. If you've assigned a different input actions asset instead of the default one for UIs, your choices are:
  • From the triple-dot menu in the upper right of the component, select Reset. This will reset it to use the default UI input actions, which should work.
  • Or, if you're using your own input actions asset, check which action is assigned to Submit. Then inspect your input action and make sure it's mapped to the key you want to use.
mleone20

Post by mleone20 »

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the help! I can see that the Continue Button is selected in the EventSystem.
Resetting the input worked so there's something else in my input configuration.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!