Conversation ends as soon as it starts

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Keeko

Conversation ends as soon as it starts

Post by Keeko »

I have a paticular conversation with all of the same settings as my other conversations. But for some reason, after it triggers, it starts to render the conversation box then ends the conversation straight after (I know this is happening because the OnConversationEnd events are firing).

when I check the debug messages from the dialogue system, I see this after each line of text:

Code: Select all

Dialogue System: Sequencer.Play( Continue()@0 )
UnityEngine.Debug:Log (object)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:PlayCommand (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.SequencerCommands.QueuedSequencerCommand,string,bool,single,string,string,string[]) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:766)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:PlayCommand (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.SequencerCommands.QueuedSequencerCommand) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:754)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:PlaySequence (string) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:688)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:PlaySequence (string,bool,bool) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:698)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationView:StartSubtitle (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Subtitle,bool,bool) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/View/View/ConversationView.cs:194)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationController:GotoState (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationState) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Controller/ConversationController.cs:215)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationController:OnFinishedSubtitle (object,System.EventArgs) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Controller/ConversationController.cs:273)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationView:FinishSubtitle () (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/View/View/ConversationView.cs:428)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationView:HandleContinueButtonClick () (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/View/View/ConversationView.cs:400)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:HandleContinueInternally (string[]) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:2724)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:HandleCommandInternally (string,string[],single&) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:1222)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:ActivateCommand (string,string,UnityEngine.Transform,UnityEngine.Transform,string[]) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:824)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:PlayCommand (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.SequencerCommands.QueuedSequencerCommand,string,bool,single,string,string,string[]) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:785)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:PlayCommand (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.SequencerCommands.QueuedSequencerCommand) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:754)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:PlaySequence (string) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:688)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:PlaySequence (string,bool,bool) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Sequencer/Sequencer.cs:698)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationView:StartSubtitle (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Subtitle,bool,bool) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/View/View/ConversationView.cs:194)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationController:GotoState (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationState) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Controller/ConversationController.cs:215)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationController:Initialize (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationModel,PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationView,bool,PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.ConversationController/EndConversationDelegate) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/MVC/Controller/ConversationController.cs:157)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueSystemController:StartConversation (string,UnityEngine.Transform,UnityEngine.Transform,int) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Manager/DialogueSystemController.cs:1052)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueManager:StartConversation (string,UnityEngine.Transform,UnityEngine.Transform,int) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Manager/DialogueManager.cs:461)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueSystemTrigger:DoConversationAction (UnityEngine.Transform) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Triggers/Triggers/DialogueSystemTrigger.cs:1001)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueSystemTrigger:Fire (UnityEngine.Transform) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Triggers/Triggers/DialogueSystemTrigger.cs:735)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueSystemTrigger:TryStart (UnityEngine.Transform,UnityEngine.Transform) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Triggers/Triggers/DialogueSystemTrigger.cs:717)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueSystemTrigger:TryStart (UnityEngine.Transform) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Triggers/Triggers/DialogueSystemTrigger.cs:703)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueSystemTrigger:OnUse (string) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Triggers/Triggers/DialogueSystemTrigger.cs:545)
UnityEngine.GameObject:BroadcastMessage (string,object)
ConversationManager:EvaluateNextConversation () (at Assets/_Game/Scripts/Managers/ConversationManager.cs:25)
GameManager/<LoadRoomConversation>d__10:MoveNext () (at Assets/_Game/Scripts/Managers/GameManager.cs:83)
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator,intptr)
The thing is, i have no sequences in the conversation (i even tried various other conversations and the result is the same).

There is no actions on the trigger itself also, it just has some conditions for executing and thats it. So i'm not sure where this command to advance the conversation straight away is coming from?
Tony Li

Re: Conversation ends as soon as it starts

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Inspect the conversation in the Dialogue Editor. Select Menu > Conversation Properties. Does the Inspector show that the Override Display Settings checkbox is ticked? If so, it may be overriding the Default Sequence.
Keeko

Post by Keeko »

The "Override Display Settings" option is not ticked for that conversation, but it also doesn't really seem to matter what conversation i slot into this trigger. its always the same result.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Something is causing every dialogue entry to play the sequencer command "Continue()@0" which immediately advances the conversation.

Do you possibly have a script with an OnConversationLine method that does this?
Keeko

Post by Keeko »

I don't, this is the object that has the conversation on it:

the only event i was hooking into is OnConversationEnd.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi - That doesn't look like it would be an issue.

Is it possible that you're looking at a different Dialogue Manager GameObject or a different conversation/database, and the one that's actually being used has "Continue()@0"?

Would it be possible for you to send a reproduction project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com?
Keeko

Post by Keeko »

Hi I can prepare the project for sending over today, just to confirm however; Is there any other scenario that could cause this behaviour to happen automatically, even if no sequence has been specified? Say like if the conversation was interrupted by another conversation?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

The only possibilities I can think of are:
  • Dialogue Manager's Default Sequence is set to Continue()@0
  • Conversation properties overrides Default Sequence to use Continue()@0
  • Custom script has an OnConversationLine() method that does it
Keeko

Post by Keeko »

Ok, I have emailed the project.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Thanks! I just downloaded it. I'll take a look today and let you know what I find.