Using scroll wheel to scroll response options

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
kimosabe

Using scroll wheel to scroll response options

Post by kimosabe »

I have a respone panel using a StandardUIMenuPanel. My reponse options are in a scroll view, and the scroll bar appears when there are a lot of options wich works great, I can use it to scroll. The respones have a StandardUIResponseButton.

But I can't seem to use the scroll wheel here? I'm using a default unity scroll view so my guess is one of the dialogue scripts is working against the scroll wheel functionality?

The response panel has a UIScrollEnabler, but I've tried it both with and without that script and doesn't seem to make a difference for using the mouse scroll wheel.

For clarity, my layout is:

UIPanel > StandardUIMenuPanel > Scroll View> Viewport > Content > StandardUIResponseButton

Any help would be appreciated!
Tony Li

Re: Using scroll wheel to scroll response options

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

The response menu uses standard Unity UI. If you want to scroll the button selection up and down using the scroll wheel, you'll need to configure Unity UI to do that. Unity UI uses an EventSystem GameObject. The EventSystem has an input module such as StandaloneInputModule. The input module has a Vertical axis input. By default, it's set to a value such as "Vertical". You can change this to an input that's mapped to the scroll wheel, or you can change the "Vertical" input to also read from the scroll wheel. (I'm not providing specific steps because it's slightly different for Unity's built-in input manager, Rewired, Input System package, and others. If you don't know how to change your input settings, let me know what input system you're using.)

Note: If you select a button that's outside of the currently visible scroll area, Unity UI does not automatically scroll up or down to show it. If your menus are so big that you need to scroll to see them all, you can import the ScrollToMe script from the free Menu Framework addon available on the Dialogue System Extras page. Then add the ScrollToMe script to your response button template.
kimosabe

Post by kimosabe »

Thank you very much for your extensive reply!

It gave me the hint I needed to solve the problem. The issue was that the response button had an EventTrigger attached for another gameplay aspect. Removing said trigger caused the scroll wheel to function correctly.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!