Dialogue Visual Glitch

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
simplepleasuresdxy

Re: Dialogue Visual Glitch

Post by simplepleasuresdxy »

They both have check marks.

I don't believe i have another gameobject has a save system component or input device manager component and moreover, it was working just fine before the update and now it's not working at all.

I'm kinda freaking out. I worked on this for like 2 weeks straight and now it's just completely flubbing out on me.

The only thing I see in the "Do not destroy on load" is the data container that I created but that has nothing to do with Dialogue manager. Moreover, before the update, it was working just fine with the data container.

I can't even remake it!
I tried remaking it again and I produce this black shape thing that just sits there blocking everything.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I'm sure it's something small. You won't have to remake anything. Sometimes something as little as a single checkbox can make a world of difference. Let's figure out what's going on.

Are you entering play mode from the first scene in build settings or from some other scene? In either case, does that scene have a Dialogue Manager GameObject?
simplepleasuresdxy

From the scene. I just hit the play button from the top. I figured out that my dialogue manager was given a second device input manager so you were right about that.

But the big thing doesnt make sense. When i laod up a character the sprite works but is darkened. Its so weird.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

One of two things could be darkening the image:

- A UnityEvent on the subtitle panel. Inspect your dialogue UI's subtitle panel and check if any of the OnOpen() or OnFocus() methods are setting it dark.

- Or an animation. Check the animator assigned to the subtitle panel. Maybe it has Focus and Unfocus animations that darken it.
simplepleasuresdxy

I'll be honest, I jsut went back to the previous version. There has to be a way to update the Dialogue Manager without completely flubbing my game out.

There are just too many thing to check and all of them didn't seem to fix the issue anyways.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Is it possible that importing the Dialogue System (e.g., version 2.2.39) overwrote any customizations you made to the Dialogue Manager prefab? If you think this is the case, customize a copy of the Dialogue Manager prefab, not the original. That way importing the Dialogue System again won't overwrite your customizations since your customizations will be on a separate copy.

If you'd like, please feel free to send a reproduction project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com.
simplepleasuresdxy

I know for a fact that it's doing that. I just don't know how to save over it with my customizations without saving over the update itself.

As for the reproduction product, I would prefer not to send it as it is nsfw related
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

NSFW is fine, but we can also resolve it without that. I'm just offering it as an option.

If you're starting with an unmodified Dialogue Manager GameObject that you've imported from the Dialogue System, a relatively safe way to customize your Dialogue Manager GameObject is to right-click it and select Create > Prefab Variant:

dialogueManagerPrefabVariant.png
dialogueManagerPrefabVariant.png (123.18 KiB) Viewed 438 times

This will create a prefab variant, which is a new prefab that inherits its settings from the original. But you can override those inherited values by editing the prefab variant.

If you've already customized your Dialogue Manager prefab, you can instead just duplicate the Dialogue Manager to make a new copy.

Move the copy or the prefab variant (whichever you chose to use) into your own folder. I like to create a top-level folder named "__Game" to hold my game files. This keeps them separate from top-level folders used by Asset Store assets.

Assign your customized dialogue UI to the copy / prefab variant. If you're using a modified version of one of the dialogue UI prefabs that ship with the Dialogue System, you can make a prefab variant or duplicate it.

Then add that Dialogue Manager copy / prefab variant to your scene(s).
simplepleasuresdxy

Hmmm .

You know what? Why not. I'll send it to you tomorrow night

Thank you Tony. You're a big help.