Temporarily Require Continue

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Yubaba

Temporarily Require Continue

Post by Yubaba »

Hi Tony,
By default, our dialogue comes up like subtitles, disappearing automatically.
I'm using the OverrideDialogueUI component for the occasional SMS sequence. Works like a charm. I just need that SMS UI to stay up after the convo until a player presses a button (physical, not UI button).
Would it be best to put this in a sequence on the final line of SMS dialogue (considering there's no audio for the AudioWait anyway)? Ideally I'd like to add this through code as my SMS trigger component takes action.

As usual, enormous thanks for all your hard work.

Pete.
Tony Li

Re: Temporarily Require Continue

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

To set the continue button mode (always or never) for a whole conversation, inspect the conversation in the Dialogue Editor. Select Menu > Conversation Properties to inspect the conversation's properties. Then tick Override Display Settings > Subtitle Settings, and set the Continue Mode dropdown. This will apply only for this conversation.

If you need to change the continue button mode mid-conversation, on the other hand, use the SetContinueMode() sequencer command.
Yubaba

Post by Yubaba »

Thank you!!
I'm using Ink, so I don't have the luxury of the Editor 😢, but you got me drilling more into Sequencer commands and I ended up adding this to the final line of the conversation - {Sequence("OnSMSFinalLine()@2; WaitForMessage(CloseSMS)")}

The OnSMSFinalLine() sends a notification to my conversation trigger object to wait for a button press, when that happens it sends Sequencer.Message("CloseSMS")

No continue mode changes needed!

Feel free to advise if you think something could be done better, but I thought I'd post this update for anyone else faced with a similar, incredibly specific case.

Huge thank yous as always,
Pete.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Pete,

That'll work, and it keeps everything in Ink.

Another option is to use an Override Display Settings component on one of the participants.
Yubaba

Post by Yubaba »

Oh this is fantastic! Thank you!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!