Trying to use the Standard VN template and having questions

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
simplepleasuresdxy

Re: Trying to use the Standard VN template and having questions

Post by simplepleasuresdxy »

So the idea is this, I want moments where the character starts on one side of the screen before a new character comes in and sort of pushes him into the left side (which would be panel one)
Tony Li

Re: Trying to use the Standard VN template and having questions

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

One approach is to write custom code to handle that. I try to make the Standard Dialogue UI system very flexible, but it's not possible to implement code for every scenario, especially if it would conflict with other configurations.

Another approach is to insert a blank dialogue entry node that shows the character in its new panel:

insertBlankNodes.png
insertBlankNodes.png (42.41 KiB) Viewed 194 times

The blank nodes on the right have a single blank space in the Dialogue Text field, and the Sequence fields are set to:

Code: Select all

Continue()@0
which makes it essentially "skip" the dialogue entry after setting up the portrait. The previous nodes (Player: Where'd you come from?! and Psion: I can teleport) include commands to change the Captain's and Security guy's panels, respectively.

Here's a modified version of the VNFocusStyleDialogueUI example available on the Extras page. It has the extra nodes shown above:

DS_VNFocusStyleDialogueUI_Modified_2023-07-30.unitypackage