Response menu problems

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Esylin

Response menu problems

Post by Esylin »

Hello, I have 2 response menu problems that I need help with:

1) When my response menu is activated, it appears on top of the dialogue text. Since my dialogue UI design is half transparent, it looks like the response menu is stacked on top of the dialogue text. Please see the image below:
Response Menu.png
Response Menu.png (16.27 KiB) Viewed 263 times
Are there any way to solve this without having to change my dialogue UI transparency?

2) When I turned on "Include invalid entries" my response menu won't close after I select an option. This problem only happens to a dialogue having "Activate on Hover" and a Playmaker Scene Event attached to it. It does not happen to other "clean" dialogues without those.

I am not sure what went wrong here :?: Is my Playmaker scene event creating response menu bugs?

Any help would be appreciated!
Tony Li

Re: Response menu problems

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
Esylin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:48 pm1) When my response menu is activated, it appears on top of the dialogue text. Since my dialogue UI design is half transparent, it looks like the response menu is stacked on top of the dialogue text.
Use a Vertical Layout Group:

verticalLayoutGroup.png
verticalLayoutGroup.png (96.71 KiB) Viewed 261 times

In the screenshot above, I modified the JRPG template UI by adding a Vertical Layout Group to the Text Panel.

I added another Vertical Layout Group to the Subtitle Panel, and a Layout Element to the Response Menu Panel. On the Layout Element, I ticked Flexible Width & Height.

Esylin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:48 pm2) When I turned on "Include invalid entries" my response menu won't close after I select an option. This problem only happens to a dialogue having "Activate on Hover" and a Playmaker Scene Event attached to it. It does not happen to other "clean" dialogues without those.
Can you verify that "Include Invalid Entries" is still the problem? Try turning it off. Does the problem still occur?

Are there any errors or warnings in the Console window?

Does the conversation still progress, even with the response menu visible, or does it not seem to do anything when you click a response button? If it doesn't seem to do anything, check if the response button(s) have anything at all assigned to their Button components' OnClick() UnityEvents. If they do, you must also assign StandardUIResponseButton.OnClick to the OnClick() UnityEvent.
Esylin

Post by Esylin »

Tony Li wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:32 pm Use a Vertical Layout Group:
What if I only want the response button activate, but not the subtitle text? Using a vertical layout group will display the response button and the subtitle text together.

Are there anyway to clear the subtitle text before the response menu activate?

Tony Li wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:32 pmCan you verify that "Include Invalid Entries" is still the problem? Try turning it off. Does the problem still occur?
No, this bug only occurs if "Include Invalid Entries" is on. It does not occur if it is turned off.

No errors in the console windows.

Does the conversation still progress, even with the response menu visible, or does it not seem to do anything when you click a response button? If it doesn't seem to do anything, check if the response button(s) have anything at all assigned to their Button components' OnClick() UnityEvents. If they do, you must also assign StandardUIResponseButton.OnClick to the OnClick() UnityEvent.
The conversation ended but the response menu is still visible. Clicking on the button doesn't do anything until I reactivate the conversation again.

My response button OnClick() has StandardUIResponseButton.OnClick and ActivateOnResponseHover.OnUnhover, that's it. It also has several Event triggers for ActivateOnResponseHover. I am not sure if that is causing problems. :?:
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
Esylin wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:59 pmAre there anyway to clear the subtitle text before the response menu activate?
You can either set the subtitle panel's Visibility to Only During Content, or configure the response menu panel's OnOpen() UnityEvent to call the subtitle panel's Close method:

closeSubtitlePanel.png
closeSubtitlePanel.png (37.21 KiB) Viewed 243 times
Esylin wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:59 pmNo, this bug only occurs if "Include Invalid Entries" is on. It does not occur if it is turned off.
Can you send a reproduction project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com?
Esylin wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:59 pmThe conversation ended but the response menu is still visible. Clicking on the button doesn't do anything until I reactivate the conversation again.
Are there any errors or warnings in the Console window for this issue?

If not, can you send a reproduction project?