Need some help combinating Text Animator + Dialogue System

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
sergiogarciadev

Need some help combinating Text Animator + Dialogue System

Post by sergiogarciadev »

Hi guys!

I've been checking both of the documentations of Dialogue System and Text Animator... But I still have problems to know how to combine them, how to set the text target as the one from the Dialogue System...

Let me give you some context about the type of situations I need. Basically, in my game I will have a narrator, I don't want to choose any dialogue options, I just want the text to be displayed with the text animator player and combining the Dialogue System plugin.
  • In the introduction scene, the dialogue characters will appear with the text animator player. The player will then change to the next dialogue with the left click.
  • In the second case, the dialogues will just be displayed at certain situations (start of the level, reaching a specific place, etc...), and they will automatically skip to the next one after certain seconds
So my doubt is... How can I conbine Dialogue System and Text Animator so I can have all the dialogues saved in the database and write the content in my text animator player?

Thanks in advance and this plugin looks really good :)
Tony Li

Re: Need some help combinating Text Animator + Dialogue System

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

The first step is to switch your dialogue UI's Text elements to use TextMeshProUGUI components instead. To do that, see here. Briefly, the steps are:

1. If you're not familiar with dialogue UIs at all, see Dialogue UIs.

2. 1. In the Dialogue System Welcome Window, tick the TMP_PRESENT checkbox.

3. In your dialogue UI, remove the Text GameObject that you want to replace, and add a TextMeshProUGUI GameObject in its place.

4. Assign the TextMeshProUGUI to the corresponding field in the Standard UI Subtitle Panel (e.g., Subtitle Text field), Standard UI Menu Panel, or Standard UI Response Button:
tmpro1.png
tmpro1.png (68.72 KiB) Viewed 102 times

---

Then follow the Text Animator integration instructions. Those are:

1. Add a TextAnimatorPlayer component to your subtitle text GameObject. (This is the same GameObject that has the TextMeshProUGUI component.) This will automatically also add a TextAnimator component.

2. Tick the TextAnimator component's Use Easy Integration checkbox.

---

By default, conversations will automatically advance to the next subtitle after a duration based on the text length. However, if any dialogue entry nodes are assigned to the player, they will appear as response menus that the player must click -- unless you UNtick the Dialogue Manager's Input Settings > Always Force Response Menu. See: How To: Bypass Response Menu When Player Has One Choice

For your introduction scene, write your conversation and configure it to start using a Dialogue System Trigger. (See the Quick Start tutorial if you have questions.) Then, in the Dialogue Editor, select Menu > Conversation Properties. Tick Override Display Settings > Subtitle Settings, and set the Continue Button dropdown to Always:
continueSpecificConversation.png
continueSpecificConversation.png (12.67 KiB) Viewed 102 times
This will require the player to click the continue button to advance the conversation. If you want to allow the player to click anywhere on the screen, see How To: Continue Without UI Button or How To: Continue With Special Key/Button.