Cannot Find Conversation Nodes in Editor

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Puppii

Cannot Find Conversation Nodes in Editor

Post by Puppii »

Hi,

I cannot seem to get my conversation to show up in the editor, even though the conversation is working fine in the scene (so I know it's still there).

When I look at the editor, and select any conversation in this database (there are only two right now) nothing shows up.
When I open the Auto-backup of the same database, I can see the nodes in the grid editor.

There is something in the far upper left hand corner in the grid view of one conversation, but I cannot select it (either clicking or dragging) and I cannot zoom in or out enough for it to be in view.

Any help would be appreciated. I have not worked much with node based editors in Unity (aside from the animator) so maybe this is just a common Unity visual glitch. It sure seems like it's just a visual thing.
Tony Li

Re: Cannot Find Conversation Nodes in Editor

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Are there any errors or warnings in the Console window?

After selecting a conversation, try right-clicking on blank canvas space. From the pop-up context menu, select Auto Arrange > Vertical. Then select Menu > Home Position.

What Dialogue System version are you using? Can you back up your project and update to the current version? If you're using Unity 2022.3.1+, you must use DS version 2.2.38+ because Unity broke something in the editor, and DS version 2.2.38 handles it.
Puppii

Post by Puppii »

Oh, silly me. I totally forgot to check the console. I am getting some warning messages:

Code: Select all

Can't find type: CustomFieldType_WindowSize. Define a class with this type inside an Editor folder.
UnityEngine.Debug:Log (object)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.CustomFieldTypeService:GetFieldCustomType (string) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Editor/Fields/CustomFieldTypeService.cs:262)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.CustomFieldTypeService:DrawField (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Field,PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueDatabase) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Editor/Fields/CustomFieldTypeService.cs:52)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueEditor.DialogueEditorWindow:DrawField (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Field,bool,bool) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Editor/Dialogue Editor/DialogueEditorWindowFieldsSection.cs:285)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueEditor.DialogueEditorWindow:DrawMainSectionField (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Field) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Editor/Dialogue Editor/DialogueEditorWindowFieldsSection.cs:177)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueEditor.DialogueEditorWindow:DrawOtherConversationPrimaryFields () (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Editor/Dialogue Editor/DialogueEditorWindowConversationSection.cs:534)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueEditor.DialogueEditorWindow:DrawConversationProperties () (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Editor/Dialogue Editor/DialogueEditorWindowConversationSection.cs:502)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueDatabaseEditor:DrawInspectorSelection () (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Editor/Dialogue Editor/DialogueDatabaseEditor.cs:250)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueDatabaseEditor:OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Editor/Dialogue Editor/DialogueDatabaseEditor.cs:94)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
I have changed the layout a few times, I don't know if that is the cause.
But I tried your suggestion about right-clicking and auto-arranging and that worked! Thank you.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

To get rid of those errors, open your dialogue database in the Dialogue Editor. Go to the Templates tab. Expand the Conversation template. Delete all fields except Title, Description, Actor, and Conversant (and any others that you're sure you want to keep). When prompted, click Remove All.