Player choosing an option and then speaking.

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
MythicBean

Player choosing an option and then speaking.

Post by MythicBean »

I was wanting to have the player make a dialogue choice and then the player character speaks. I originally created a separate actor that would have the same portraits and animations as the player actor, but I'm using the focus template which means that the separate actor plays over the NPC portrait. Is there a way to assign an actor to the player portrait without ticking the "Is player" box and having all of the dialogue nodes be choices.
Please let me know if I didn't explain that very well.
MythicBean

Re: Player choosing an option and then speaking.

Post by MythicBean »

Something else I was wondering is if there is a way to mark an actor as a player but have their dialogue nodes be regular text instead of choices
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

It's a built-in feature to allow the player to choose a response from a response menu and then play that response as a subtitle. Typically designers will put the response menu button text in the dialogue entry's Menu Text field and an expanded version for the subtitle text in the dialogue entry's Dialogue Text field. Set the Dialogue Manager's Default Player Sequence to something like: AudioWait(entrytag); Delay({{end}})

If you don't want to show a response menu for single responses, see How To: Bypass Response Menu When Player Has One Choice
MythicBean

Post by MythicBean »

Thanks a lot! The response menu thread is exactly what I needed
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!