Quick start

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
GenericName

Quick start

Post by GenericName »

Hello, I'm currently trying out the Evaluation version of "Dialogue System for Unity". However, I'm running into an issue while working my way through the quick start tutorial (https://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_ ... start.html). Everything works great up till step 12. Something between 12 and 15 has something go wrong though: positioning the mouse hover over the NPC does not display the yellow text as described - and consequently pressing space bar does not play the conversation.

I looked for another quick start tutorial and found this one: . While using the proximity selector, I was able to see the yellow text now, as described. However, pressing space still doesn't play the conversation.

It seems to me that my keyboard and mouse input are not being detected by these components. I added my own interactable script to the NPC, and the Player can activate that just fine.
Tony Li

Re: Quick start

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks for checking out the Dialogue System!

For the Quick Start tutorial, please see: How To: Fix Selector and Proximity Selector Issues. If your scene is in 2D, make sure you've set the Selector to Run Raycasts In 2D.

For the Interaction Tutorial, and input in general, check the Console window for any errors or messages. Even if you've switched from Unity's built-in input manager to the Input System package, it should still recognize key codes such as KeyCode.Space. But if you're relying on the Input Button's setting (e.g., "Fire2") and you're using something other than built-in input, it may require the Asset Store version so you can enable support.
GenericName

Post by GenericName »

Thanks for the support despite me using the evaluation version. Raycasting ended up being the issue, so its working just fine now. Full version coming right up :)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!