Make PC portrait always visible

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
7ports

Make PC portrait always visible

Post by 7ports »

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a setting / way to make the PC's portrait always visible in a dialogue UI even when they're not speaking. All the settings I have tried result in the character's portrait being hidden until they speak. Please let me know if there is an easy way to make this work.

Cheers,
Raj
Tony Li

Re: Make PC portrait always visible

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Raj,

Inspect the subtitle panel that shows the PC's Portrait Image. Set its Visibility dropdown to Always From Start.
7ports

Post by 7ports »

Thank you!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!
7ports

Post by 7ports »

Hi Tony,

I've realized that the setting you mentioned isn't quite what I wanted. More accurately I wanted to have just the character's portrait always visible, from the start, but their subtitle text to be visible only during content.

In this particular setup there are 2 subtitle panels since there are portraits for both actors in the conversation being shown simultaneously. The text boxes for the subtitle panels also overlap, as I want all the text to show up in the same location on the UI. Is there a way to configure this optimally such that the actor's portraits are always visible from the start while their text only being visible during content? Even just a way to clear subtitle text before each new entry in a conversation I believe that would work too.

Please let me know if you can help.

Cheers,
Raj
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Can you configure the subtitle panels to share the same Subtitle Text GameObject? The VN template, for example, does this. This way, when an NPC speaks, the NPC's text will appear in the Subtitle Text GameObject, but the PC's portrait will remain visible.

However, if you need something custom, you can always subclass StandardDialogueUI to do whatever you want, or even implement the C# interface IDialogueUI if you want to completely handle all of the dialogue UI stuff in your own code.