Ink choices are being ignored when nested in conditional blocks

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

Re: Ink choices are being ignored when nested in conditional blocks

Post by Tony Li »

I'll investigate further. The update above (2022-04-14-b) contains a change to better handle multiple player actors, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll let you know what I find. It may be that I just misunderstood what you expected to see, but it also sounds like some incorrect behavior is going on.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

For all of the actors named in your Ink file, are there corresponding actors in your dialogue database?

I set up a test scene with actors in the dialogue database and empty GameObjects with DialogueActors:

TestInk006_2022-04-20.unitypackage

(Exported from Unity 2020.)

It plays like this, which looks correct:
boy1.png
boy1.png (28.52 KiB) Viewed 929 times
boy2.png
boy2.png (6.25 KiB) Viewed 929 times
boy3.png
boy3.png (5.59 KiB) Viewed 929 times
I used the Ink script above, but I removed the external function calls since I don't have those functions.
nehvaleem

Post by nehvaleem »

Yeah. All of the actors are in the database and all of that is working as intended (at least by me) until I upgrade to 2.2.27. I have done it a couple of times, resetting via git each time proves to me that there is something going on.

Of course, on your screenshot, it looks like it should. I have to try to isolate my case and prepare a repro. It will take me some time and it is quite busy right now. I'll come back with this probably next week if that's ok.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Sounds good!
nehvaleem

Post by nehvaleem »

hi Tony,
I would like to resurrect this topic a bit. I recently upgraded DS to 2.2.30 along with the ink integration. It seems now that the issue with skipping lines after the response isn't present in my project (as long as I have the "Player Dialogue Text Follows Response Text" turned off).

But the original issue still persists, meaning that if the choices in the ink contents are nested inside the conditional block they are being ignored. Conversation follows like the player has chosen the first option which isn't what is supposed to happen, obviously.

Could you please take a look at it?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I noticed that in your sample file, but it looked like the choices were assigned to an NPC. Is that correct? If any choice is assigned to an NPC, the conversation will use that choice instead of showing a response menu of PC choices.
nehvaleem

Post by nehvaleem »

Oh my gosh, you are totally right! I've had multiple choices that have different actors bound to them, and one actor (the first one in the options) wasn't marked as the player.

Sorry about that, everything works correctly in that case.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Whew! If you notice any other issues, just let me know.