Features for localization pipeline

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
vcesauron

Features for localization pipeline

Post by vcesauron »

We're preparing our databases for localization, and there are some features we believe aren't currently on the plugin.

1) Can DS export to image?
Since our conversations have lots of branching, we'd like to export image files from the conversation trees. They would serve as reference material for when the translators need a bit more context for specific lines. Does Dialogue System do that by any chance? I'm just making sure before we buy a ChatMapper license to do just that.

2) Does DS have public methods for reordering conversations and nodes?
Our conversations are split in more than 30 databases. We want to write a tool to export all of them in a few clicks. Ideally, the code would do something like this:

Code: Select all

public void ExportAllDBs()
{
// ...
UniqueIDWindow.ProcessDatabases(); // just to reorder the conversations

// for each database:
DialogueEditorWindowReorderIDs.ReorderIDsAllConversations(); // reorder the nodes
DialogueEditorWindowDatabaseSection.TryExportToCSV(); // export each database according to settings on the inspector
}
The thing is these are currently inacessible from external scripts. Do you recommend another way to go about this? We really wouldn't like to click through every database in case we make changes to the structure or export settings.
Mass importing would also be cool, if possible.

I just found this topic: https://www.pixelcrushers.com/phpbb/vie ... php?t=4155. But not sure how's the progress on that.
Tony Li

Re: Features for localization pipeline

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
vcesauron wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:51 pm1) Can DS export to image?
Chat Mapper is your best option for images like the one below. Wish it were less expensive.

chatMapperImage.png
chatMapperImage.png (160.16 KiB) Viewed 623 times

For a different but less expensive option, you could use RelationsInspector on the Asset Store:

relationsInspector.png
relationsInspector.png (52.48 KiB) Viewed 623 times

RelationsInspector, on the plus side, is interactive. You can use it to show cross-conversation links, and links between GameObjects and conversations, as well as individual conversation trees.
vcesauron wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:51 pm2) Does DS have public methods for reordering conversations and nodes?
No, but I can try to add public methods in version 2.2.31.
vcesauron

Post by vcesauron »

Tony Li wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:40 pm No, but I can try to add public methods in version 2.2.31.
Yeah, that would be neat! I believe the method we'd use for importing is:

DialogueEditorWindowLocalization.ImportLocalizationFilesFromFolder(path)
Any estimate for a release date?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I'll try to have a patch by next Monday at the latest. Things got a little delayed recently due to unexpected external circumstances.
vcesauron

Post by vcesauron »

Sure thing. Thank you for the support.

About the visualization, RelationsInspector looks like a great tool. It doesn't have export functions, so we won't be able to do that, but we can definitely find other uses for it ;)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

True. With RelationsInspector, I was thinking you could maximize the window and take a screenshot. But if you have the budget for Chat Mapper, that's the best option.
leandro.O

Post by leandro.O »

Tony Li wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:40 pmNo, but I can try to add public methods in version 2.2.31.
Hi Tony,
I was following this post and I like to know if this feature was implemented.
Because, I updated the plugin to 2.2.32 and I couldn't find this public methods.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay on that. You can download it from the Dialogue System Extras page. (direct download)

Use it like this:

UniqueIDWindow.OpenUniqueIDWindow(); // Make sure Unique ID Window is ready.
UniqueIDWindow.instance.ProcessDatabases();
DialogueEditorWindow.OpenDialogueEditorWindow(); // Make sure Dialogue Editor window is ready.
DialogueEditorWindow.instance.ReorderIDsAllConversations();
DialogueEditorWindow.instance.TryExportToCSV();
DialogueEditorWindow.instance.ImportLocalizationFilesFromFolder(path);
You can also set properties such as DialogueEditorWindow.instance.csvExportPath.