Showing NPC Subtitles with Responses

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
drod7425

Post by drod7425 »

I am working on a custom Dialogue UI using Unity UI (4.6). I went through the tutorial and linked up all the necessary objects to the Unity UI Dialogue UI component. I also have a continue button.

Everything seems to be working well. The continue button moves the conversation forward. It's all good until you reach a node with choices. The actual NPC Subtitle flashes for a frame and then disappears, leaving the choices by themselves. I made sure that "Show NPC Subtitles with Responses" in the Subtitle Settings on the Dialogue Manager is checked, but it doesn't have any effect.

Any idea what I might do to fix this?

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention - the NPC Subtitle gameobject in my scene isn't getting turned on. If I manually enable it and its Text child, I do see the NPC Subtitle displayed correctly.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Assign the same NPC Subtitle UI element(s) to the Response Menu > Subtitle Reminder section.

The Subtitle Reminder is what's shown during the response menu. This allows you to have different UI elements for when the NPC speaks (NPC Subtitle) versus when the NPC is waiting for a response (Subtitle Reminder). For example, the NPC Subtitle could have a typewriter effect that the reminder doesn't have, or the reminder could be positioned differently and in a smaller font.
drod7425

Post by drod7425 »

That was it! I didn't realize what the reminder was, so I didn't use it. Makes so much more sense now. Thanks!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Happy to help! I'll clarify the documentation better in the next release.
papapa909090

Re: Showing NPC Subtitles with Responses

Post by papapa909090 »

Where is Response Menu > Subtitle Reminder section?

Couldn't find that in DialogueManager / ui elements on dialogue canvas
Tony Li

Re: Showing NPC Subtitles with Responses

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

This thread was in 2015. Back then, the recommend dialogue UI system was called Unity UI Dialogue UI. It has a subtitle reminder panel.

Now the Dialogue System has a much-improved Standard Dialogue UI system. It doesn't have a subtitle reminder panel. It doesn't need one. You can set any of the regular subtitle panels' Visibility dropdowns to behave the way you want.