Search bar

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
SealDev

Search bar

Post by SealDev »

For large games with many conversations, this function would be useful! It's already fast and nice for finding Variables.
But there is no search bar yet for:
-Selecting a dialogue in the Dialogue window (even if you organize them really well at some point it starts to take a long time finding each one, this adds a lot of seconds trying to find stuff)
-Selecting a dialogue in the Dialogue Trigger component (again searching a few letters to find the one you need would be blazing fast in comparison to current method)
-Actors window (currently every actor that doesn't match filter gets greyed out, however if you have hundreds of actors you still have to scroll a lot. instead making all the non-match names disappear gets rid of that scrolling)
-Actor selection for dialogue node

All of these really add up minutes if not hours of development time by the end of finishing a project. Implementing quick search bar finding would make this asset an even bigger joy to use. Thank you for reading Tony :)
Tony Li

Re: Search bar

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I'm considering adding a search bar in a future update.

In the meantime, if you use forward slashes in your conversation titles you can group them into submenus.

Note that Dialogue System Triggers refer to conversations by their titles. If you change a conversation title in your dialogue database, you'll need to update the Dialogue System Trigger, too. You can either do it manually or using the Asset Renamer tool. (Menu item Tools > Pixel Crushers > Dialogue System > Tools > Asset Renamer.)
destrucity

Post by destrucity »

Just want to second this feature request... My writer got a new job and I look at the conversations and it's crazy trying to find things, even if I know the name. Scrolling the drop down list is not ideal, I can't even use my mouse wheel and have to click and hold the down arrow for days :) Is there a better way short of trying to rename everything with the folder concept you mentioned?

Thanks!

Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I'll try to get this implemented very soon.

In the meantime, you can press the first letter of a conversation title to jump to titles that start with that letter. You can also use Menu > Sort to sort conversation titles alphabetically if that would help.
destrucity

Post by destrucity »

Thank you! 🙇‍♂️

And thanks for the first letter tip, that will help immediately!
destrucity

Post by destrucity »

Just another random thing I noticed: the mouse wheel (or trackpad) does actually work to scroll the list of conversations in the dropdown on mac (Unity 2019.4.33), but not on windows.
SealDev

Post by SealDev »

Omg yes it's coming! You are such a life saver Tony!
destrucity

Post by destrucity »

Hi, I just wanted to check on the status of this feature. I don't think it exists but maybe I just need to update :)

This is still something that would add high degree of quality of life and workflow improvement. Thanks!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Since version 2.2.23, the Dialogue Editor's Conversations section has had a filter for conversation titles.

In version 2.2.34 (barring any unforeseen issues), the Actors section will have an option to hide grayed out (filtered out) actors, and the Dialogue System Trigger component's Conversation dropdown will have a filter bar.
SealDev

Post by SealDev »

1. Consider anchoring the + and - buttons in actor window to the sidebar, so that no matter where you scroll, it follows you so you can always quickly add or remove a new actor without scrolling to the bottom

2. In Dialogue Trigger component you unfortunately can't search for Submenus by name. But in Conversations tab it does work!

3. Actor and Conversant Dialogue Trigger, search bars

4. If I'm stuck on a older version of the Dialogue System around 2.20 or so and want to only upgrade to get all the Search bars, which scripts should I try to import?

I've tried upgrading the whole system, but instantly had to revert with github, cause for some reason, maybe technical debt or who knows, time to enter play mode, even with fast playmode enabled is longer, as well as script compile times.