Quest Entries Showing All the Time

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
kim258

Quest Entries Showing All the Time

Post by kim258 »

Hi there,

I'm having trouble with the quest entries, they seem to all show in the quest log no matter what state they are in - "unassigned, active, etc." I can't seem to get any of them to not show up, and I haven't fiddled around with the quest log too much so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working! I'm using the Unity UI, and I also have adventure creator installed, though it isn't doing much at the moment.

It doesn't seem to matter how I assign the quest itself, even if I start the game with it assigned, all of the quest entries show up all the time. I was hoping to be able to assign the entries at different points in the game.

This might be too vague, and I can definitely give more information if it's needed, I was just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem before, and how they fixed it.

Thank you!
Tony Li

Re: Quest Entries Showing All the Time

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Does this happen in the quest log window or the quest tracker HUD?

Does the Dialogue System's Quest Example scene work the way you expect? To test, you can edit the Quest Example Dialogue database, open the foldout for the "Thin the Ranks" quest, and change Entry 1's State to unassigned. Then play the scene and talk to Sergeant Graves to pick up the quest. When you open the quest log window, you should only see the main description, not the "0 of 5 killed" entry.

Or, while playing, open the Dialogue Editor's Watches tab. In the text entry field at the very bottom, enter:

SetQuestState("Thin the Ranks", 1, "unassigned")

and click the Run button. Then pick up the quest and open the quest log window.

(In the Quest Example, you can open the quest log window by pressing Escape, then clicking the Quest Log button. The quest tracker HUD is always onscreen and should only show active quests.)

If the Quest Example works but your scene doesn't, please post a screenshot of the Dialogue Editor open to the quest, or better yet email an example project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com and let me know what version of Unity to use.
kim258

Post by kim258 »

Hey Tony,

So after fiddling around a little it seems it's something to do with which UI I use - the Quest Example scene does work, but as soon as I change the UI in that scene from the GUI to the generic Unity UI prefab, it stops working again. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but could the code be different for the different kinds of UIs?

I took a couple of screenshots to show the problem:

Default Sci Fi GUI:
quest1.JPG
quest1.JPG (49.4 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
Generic Unity UI:
quest2.JPG
quest2.JPG (57.86 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
I'm using the latest version of Unity, I think : 5.3.4f1. The only thing I really changed was setting that quest to active from the start, and adding in the other UI, so I'm not sure what else it could be!

Thanks!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I don't see a problem in either screenshot. If one or both of them indicate a problem, could you point it out, please?

How are you opening the quest log window? If you're using the FeatureDemo script (as the Quest Example does), make sure to assign your quest log window to the FeatureDemo's Quest Log Window field.
kim258

Post by kim258 »

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The first screenshot is showing only the first quest entry while the second is showing all three even though the later two should be hidden as they are "unassigned".

With the Sci fi GUI it works properly and hides them, but if I just switch to the generic Unity UI in the same scene, suddenly the quest shows all three entries.

I am opening the quest log with the feature demo script and the correct one is assigned when I test each one. I can take screenshots of some settings if it helps, but it really does seem to depend on the difference between the scripts used for each UI. The prefabs all seem to use the "Unity UI Quest Log Window" Script, while the Quest Example scene is by default using the "Unity GUI Quest Log Window" Script.

Is it possible those two scripts handle hiding quest entries differently? Or is it more likely something with my setup that causes the Unity UI to not work properly?

Thank you!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

This is fixed in version 1.6.2, which will be on the customer download site in about 30 minutes. If you would mind PM'ing me your Unity Asset Store invoice number, I'll make sure you have download access.

It was indeed the case that the Unity UI Quest Log Window script handled quest entries differently. Specifically, if the quest template didn't use a quest entry container (that is, a panel to hold all the instantiated quest entries), the script inadvertently included unassigned entries. Thank you for bringing this to my attention so I could fix it.