Debugging with Visual Studio

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
EWalk13

Debugging with Visual Studio

Post by EWalk13 »

Hi, I am trying to learn how the Dialogue System steps through the code, specifically for the Response Buttons, but I am trying to use break points in Visual Studio to stop the code and step through it, but it doesn't seem to be working. I have done debugging with Visual Studio and Unity before, so I am not sure if I have to do something different, or does it not work? I attach the Unity process to Visual Studio, but it doesn't do what it normally does, it opens some Diagnostic Tools. I am open to using MonoDevelop too. How do you do break points with Dialogue System?

Thanks
Tony Li

Re: Debugging with Visual Studio

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

You need to import the source code, which I'll warn you is a bit of a headache.

The Dialogue System has a lot editor code for the Dialogue Editor, all the third party authoring tool importers, and various custom inspectors. This code isn't included in your builds, but it does take a while to compile in the Unity editor. To save users that time, the Dialogue System includes precompiled DLLs. The DLLs are compiled lean, without any debug info, so you can't step into it. But if you want to go with the source code instead, follow the steps in the link above. Then you can debug in VS or Mono as normal.