Slow conversation editing

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
roketronz

Slow conversation editing

Post by roketronz »

Hi all!

I'm having a problem since quite some time now, where the editing of a conversation node has a lot of input lag, to the point that is really hard to write anything without loosing your flow.

What I did so far:
  • Created a new conversation, still input lag.
  • on an empty project, loaded the database, still input lag (but slightly less than before).
  • I have fast undo for large Database ON.
  • I have approximately 100 variables.
  • I have only 12 actors on the database.
  • I have approximately 70 conversations
  • Moving conversation nodes have a lot of lag as well
  • Editing the demo database works fine
  • Creating a new database has no input lag as well
  • I started the project on DS 1.5 (or so) And I try to update the plugin frequently.
  • I'm on DS 2.3.3
  • Tried on 2019.2.5 & 2019.2.3
  • I have a beefy machine

Any idea of how to solve this? Its rendering almost unusable at this point, and I think I'm halfway the amount of words the final project will have.

I have no problem sharing the DB via DM if needed.

Thanks!!
Tony Li

Re: Slow conversation editing

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Are there any errors or warnings in the Console window?

Make sure you haven't set the Database > Editor Settings > Auto Backup Frequency to a low value such as 1 second. A value of 600 seconds or higher is better. Or, if you don't want auto-backups, set it to zero.

The size of the currently-selected conversation and the number of nodes visible in the window determine performance. If you're not getting any errors or warnings, and if you're not running constant auto-backups, then let's look at ways to make the conversation editor more responsive. Here are some suggestions:
  • Split your conversation into multiple conversations. You can cross-link between conversations.
  • Turn off extra visual features such as Menu > Show > Show Actor Portraits.
  • Don't zoom out too far. The more nodes Unity has to draw, the slower it will be.
  • Use a smaller window size. If you're using a full-screen maximized window, try making the window half the screen size. This should just about double performance.
I know some of those suggestions, especially the last two, are far from ideal. The Dialogue Editor window optimizes where it can, such as not drawing nodes that aren't visible, and caching everything it can. But it's limited by the Unity editor's drawing capabilities, and Unity 2019.2 is especially known for poor performance compared to previous versions as they transition to the new editor UI system. Still, only 70 conversations should perform fine unless they're absolutely humongous -- in which case, splitting them should help.

If none of that helps, please feel free to PM me your DB. I'll be happy to take a look.
roketronz

Re: Slow conversation editing

Post by roketronz »

Hi Tony!
Thanks for your reply!
  • No errors on the console window
  • I have the auto backup set at 600
  • It happens in single node conversations, so I dont think is that
  • Not showing any portraits
  • Zoom at 1
  • I do actually work fullscreen when using the dialogue editor. I hope it doesnt come to that! Also, the demo conversation works fine while editing in fullscreen.
I think the problem might be in my database. Maybe in some update something happened. I will PM you the db!

Thanks again for your help. Hope its something solvable!