Multiple Actor Portraits in Conversation

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
GerPronouncedGrr

Multiple Actor Portraits in Conversation

Post by GerPronouncedGrr »

I just purchased the Dialogue System the other day, and I've been playing around with it a bit, but there's something specific I'd really like to be able to do that I can't find a method for.

What I'm trying to do is something like in the attached image, where each conversant can be viewed as a portrait at all times. I currently have it set up so that whomever is currently speaking can be viewed like this, but only the person currently speaking. Ideally, it would also be possible to have characters slide in and out of the conversation from either side, via a trigger, as they enter/exit the scene, and for the conversation view to support as many characters per side as will comfortably fit in the viewport. Again, you can see this in the attached image, where there are two conversants on the left, and one on the right.
Attachments
profLayton.jpg
profLayton.jpg (76.61 KiB) Viewed 838 times
Tony Li

Re: Multiple Actor Portraits in Conversation

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

This is very possible but may require a bit of scripting. Tortured Hearts does something similar where each of six party members uses a unique dialogue panel background when they're speaking.

Unassign the NPC Portait Image in your dialogue UI component. Then manually show the appropriate portrait. You might be able to use the MoveTo() sequencer command to slide each character's sprite into place when they join the conversation; this wouldn't require any special scripting. Otherwise, make a subclass of UnityUIDialogueUI and override the ShowSubtitle() method to also show the portrait image the way you want.