New to Pixel Crushers Dialogue System

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
FunD

New to Pixel Crushers Dialogue System

Post by FunD »

Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting this dialogue system for my narrative game. However, my programming experience is very limited.

The story of my game is pretty straight forward, but my biggest concern is how would I go about creating dialogues, that don't necessarily repeat after clicking on a NPC a second time?

Basically, when the player goes back to that NPC, the dialogue is different.
Also, I'd like for the dialogues to be accompanied by voice-overs, can I include voice-overs on texts with this dialogue system?

Also, one last thing, I don't want the next text in line to appear with button click, but rather with 'ENTER' key on keyboard. Is this possible?

Those are my main concerns before getting this asset. If anybody could explain to me how to do this stuff, that'd be great. Thanks.
DragoonHP

Re: New to Pixel Crushers Dialogue System

Post by DragoonHP »

FunD wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 am Basically, when the player goes back to that NPC, the dialogue is different.
You can use conditions for that > https://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_ ... logic.html
FunD wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 am Also, I'd like for the dialogues to be accompanied by voice-overs, can I include voice-overs on texts with this dialogue system?
Yes. You can use Lipsync > https://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_ ... ml#lipsync
FunD wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 am Also, one last thing, I don't want the next text in line to appear with button click, but rather with 'ENTER' key on keyboard. Is this possible?
Yes. In the dialogue manager, you can assign it to Enter in the Input settings
FunD

Post by FunD »

Hi,
Thanks for your message. I bought Pixel Crusher Dialogue System, in the meantime.
However, I'm experiencing some difficulties.

I followed the starter guide to learn about the basics of this asset. So I have a 'dialogue System Trigger' on my NPC. It's set to start on Trigger Enter. The NPC has a box collider with a trigger. The dialogue appears fine, however, when the dialogue starts, the camera view changes, rather than staying in position, where the player is looking when launching the conversation. It goes back to the start position of the game for some reason. I can't figure out why?

Another problem I'm having is that the conversation does not leave on mouse click, nor on keyboard key.
So I went into the Input settings, in the dialogue manager, like you said, to set it to the 'Enter' Key. I see that it's set to Joystick. But even if I change to 'Keyboard', I'm not exactly sure where to set the 'Enter' key.

Another question I have is, where do I change the design/font/colors of the text boxes? I have not been able to find it.

Thanks so much, I'm still a newbie and kinda lost :?:

DragoonHP wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:34 am
FunD wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 am Basically, when the player goes back to that NPC, the dialogue is different.
You can use conditions for that > https://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_ ... logic.html
FunD wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 am Also, I'd like for the dialogues to be accompanied by voice-overs, can I include voice-overs on texts with this dialogue system?
Yes. You can use Lipsync > https://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_ ... ml#lipsync
FunD wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 am Also, one last thing, I don't want the next text in line to appear with button click, but rather with 'ENTER' key on keyboard. Is this possible?
Yes. In the dialogue manager, you can assign it to Enter in the Input settings
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

The short answer is yes, you can do all of that without any scripting.

DragoonHP provided some good info. (Thanks, DragoonHP!) I'll supplement it a bit in case you have questions as you get into setting it up.
FunD wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 amThe story of my game is pretty straight forward, but my biggest concern is how would I go about creating dialogues, that don't necessarily repeat after clicking on a NPC a second time?
Nothing to add here. DragoonHP provided the best answer.
FunD wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 amAlso, I'd like for the dialogues to be accompanied by voice-overs, can I include voice-overs on texts with this dialogue system?
A few options:

1. Put your voiceover audio files in a Resources folder. (You can also put them in an asset bundle, but Resources is much simpler.) For each node in the conversation, drag the corresponding audio file into the node's Sequence field.

2. If you have a lot files, you can simplify the process by using entrytags. (See part 4 of these tutorials.)

3. DragoonHP linked to the overview for true lipsync -- that is, animating characters' mouths to match the audio that's playing. The two most popular options are SALSA and LipSync Pro. There's some question about the future of LipSync Pro, though.
FunD wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 amAlso, one last thing, I don't want the next text in line to appear with button click, but rather with 'ENTER' key' on keyboard. Is this possible?
Yes. Set the Dialogue Manager's Subtitle Settings > Continue Button to Always. You can make the continue button invisible if you want. Set its Image's alpha color to zero.) Since 'ENTER' is one of the default keys to "click" the currently-focused UI button, tick the Dialogue Manager's Input Device Manager > Always Auto Focus to make sure the continue button gets focus.

Please feel free to try the evaluation version before buying.
FunD

Post by FunD »

Hi,

Thanks so much! What a great support for this asset. Really cool

I got the text running on 'Enter' now, and I got to change the design of the text boxes a little.

The one thing I really still can't figure out is this thing I mentioned before:

I followed the starter guide to learn about the basics of this asset. So I have a 'dialogue System Trigger' on my NPC. It's set to start on Trigger Enter. The NPC has a box collider with a trigger. The dialogue appears fine, however, when the dialogue starts, the camera view changes, rather than staying in position, where the player is looking when launching the conversation. It goes back to the start position of the game for some reason. I can't figure out why?

I don't understand what is causing this. Any ideas?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Make sure your scene's camera is tagged 'MainCamera'. Otherwise the Dialogue System will create a temporary main camera in case your nodes need to manage camera cuts.

As a further test, remove any Camera() or Zoom2D() commands from the Dialogue Manager's Default Sequence and from the conversation nodes' Sequence fields.
FunD

Post by FunD »

Oh yes, that was the issue.
many thanks :)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Happy to help!