Error: SelectorUseStandardUIElements can't find a StandardUISelectorElements component in the scene.

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
FunkyBoi

Error: SelectorUseStandardUIElements can't find a StandardUISelectorElements component in the scene.

Post by FunkyBoi »

Hi everyone
All of the sudden, none of my NPCs work and I get an errors that say

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueSystemTrigger.DoConversationAction (UnityEngine.Transform actor) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Triggers/Triggers/DialogueSystemTrigger.cs:997)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueSystemTrigger.Fire (UnityEngine.Transform actor) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Triggers/Triggers/DialogueSystemTrigger.cs:735)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueSystemTrigger.TryStart (UnityEngine.Transform actor, UnityEngine.Transform interactor) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Triggers/Triggers/DialogueSystemTrigger.cs:717)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueSystemTrigger.TryStart (UnityEngine.Transform actor) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Triggers/Triggers/DialogueSystemTrigger.cs:703)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueSystemTrigger.OnCollisionEnter2D (UnityEngine.Collision2D collision) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/Triggers/Triggers/DialogueSystemTrigger.cs:577)

Dialogue System: SelectorUseStandardUIElements can't find a StandardUISelectorElements component in the scene.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object,UnityEngine.Object)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.SelectorUseStandardUIElements:Start () (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Scripts/UI/Standard/Selector/SelectorUseStandardUIElements.cs:69)

I did not make any chances to anything, I just loaded the project and this happened. Can't seem to figure out even what it wants from me
Tony Li

Re: Error: SelectorUseStandardUIElements can't find a StandardUISelectorElements component in the scene.

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Nothing breaks without changing anything. But don't worry -- we'll get the project working again!

Are you using version control by any chance? If so, can you review the latest changes in version control and identify what changed?

What Dialogue System version are you using? You can find it in the Welcome Window or in the file Assets > Plugins > Pixel Crushers > Dialogue System > _README.txt.

Can you:

1. Back up your project. Make sure the backup is good.
2. Import the current version of the Dialogue System. You can import it right on top of your existing DS installation.
3. Try the scene again.

If you get the same error, click on it in the Console and paste in the details just like you did above. The line numbers will change, since it looks like you're on an older version of the Dialogue System.