Wrong speaker and listener in conversation

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
VillVarh

Wrong speaker and listener in conversation

Post by VillVarh »

Hi there. I'm currently using version 2.2.43.1. To initiate a conversation, I utilize the Usable button, which triggers the conversation with OnUse(). In the dialogue system trigger component, I haven't specified a conversation actor or conversant. The NPC I interact with has a dialogue actor component with an assigned actor name. Similarly, my player, who initiates the conversation, has a dialogue actor component with a designated name.

During the conversation, the NPC's name is correctly displayed when they speak, thanks to the BringToFrontOnFocus template UI. OnOpen() closes the nameplate, while on focus, it activates the nameplate, and unfocusing disables the nameplate. However, when it's my turn to speak in the next node, the NPC's nameplate remains the only active one. Only when I reach the response menu, where I choose what to say, does my name become active.

Additionally, I encounter issues when starting a conversation with an object like a leaflet, where there are no actor or conversant specified in the dialogue system trigger. In this case, it takes the actor and conversant from the nodes. Despite setting the NPC as the actor on every node, my player ends up being the speaker, and the NPC is the listener. This occurs even when I want the same NPC to address me during the leaflet conversation. (I want an object to trigger conversation with that same npc. npc will talk about the object in this conversation but somehow my player is the one talking)

Furthermore, when linking to another conversation from the NPC's dialogue, the same NPC's portrait and name persist, even if the linked conversation involves a different NPC. Strangely, this works seamlessly in another scene with a different NPC.

I really am lost. I dont know what to do about this strange behaviour. :(
VillVarh

Re: Wrong speaker and listener in conversation

Post by VillVarh »

In this picture on the first player speaking the actor is player but the nameplate is not. Player nameplate only comes in response menu
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (53.15 KiB) Viewed 149 times
VillVarh

Post by VillVarh »

Here you can see the focus and unfocus stuff in the dialogue UI. I have modified your Focus template to only display the speakers name not the listener. When i tried to test it on you UI Focus template even it didnt focus on the player on the player is talking node on the above picture. The focus on the player comes just when i get to the response menu.
Attachments
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (104 KiB) Viewed 145 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Is it possible that the response menu's PC Image is visible (in an unfocused state) and covering the PC Subtitle Panel's Portrait Image?

Can you send a reproduction project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com?