How do I make short dialogues/say one phrase?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
PinkPanther

How do I make short dialogues/say one phrase?

Post by PinkPanther »

Hi Tony! I have objects and I want to make sure that when interacting with them, the Player speaks phrases. I know that I can just add a User component and a trigger dialog and make it so that when interacting with an object, a dialog begins in which there is one phrase, but I think there is some other way to do this.
I'll give you an example so that you can better understand what I want: I have a jar of beans. The player interacts with this jar and says "I never liked beans" and that's it. I have a lot of such objects and I think creating a lot of dialogs is not the best idea. Maybe there is another way, simpler?
Tony Li

Re: How do I make short dialogues/say one phrase?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Lots of conversations is fine. (Group them together into submenus using forward slashes in their titles.)

Or you can use a single conversation for these types of interactions and, in the Dialogue System Trigger, specify the dialogue entry to play.

Or you can play the lines as barks and, in the Dialogue System Trigger, specify to bark from text instead of a conversation. The downside of this is if you need to localize the text. If you need to localize the bark text instead of using a conversation, you'll need to put the bark text in a text table and assign the text table to the Dialogue Manager.
PinkPanther

Post by PinkPanther »

Thanks Tony!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!
ukieiri

Post by ukieiri »

Hey Toni! What would be the way to use a text table in this case?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
ukieiri wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:01 pmWhat would be the way to use a text table in this case?
If you're talking about using a Dialogue System Trigger's Actions > Bark > Bark Source > Text like below:

dsTriggerBarkText.png
dsTriggerBarkText.png (22.49 KiB) Viewed 490 times

The Dialogue System will check if the Bark Text (e.g., "Hello" above) is a field in the text table assigned to the Dialogue Manager's Localization Settings. If so, it will use the current value of that text table field. If it's not a field, the Dialogue System will bark the text as-is.