Accumulate Text MaxLines Not Working

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
boz

Accumulate Text MaxLines Not Working

Post by boz »

So I set maxLines to 35 on the panel and noticed a slowdown eventually. Then I set it to 4 and noticed it was putting in way more lines than 4. I can see that it's cutting off text, but it doesn't seem to be listening to the maxLines that I set.

So I started watching previousText.Length while clicking through dialogue and noticed it just keeps getting bigger and bigger the entire time. Sometimes a little smaller, but always trending towards bigger.

Code: Select all

if (accumulateText && !string.IsNullOrEmpty(subtitle.formattedText.text))
            {
                if (numAccumulatedLines < maxLines)
                {
                    numAccumulatedLines++;
                }
                else
                {
                    // If we're at the max number of lines, remove the first line from the accumulated text:
                    previousText = previousText.Substring(previousText.IndexOf("\n") + 1);
                    Debug.LogWarning("Previous Text Length: " + previousText.Length);
                }
            }

I tried to make sure there are no scripts overriding this.

What am I missing or what might I check? This is in version 2.2.38.2
Tony Li

Re: Accumulate Text MaxLines Not Working

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Do your dialogue entries have a lot of line breaks (newlines) in their text? The Max Lines feature uses a heuristic that assumes dialogue entry text doesn't haven't too many line breaks. When it hits max lines, it removes early text up to the first line break.
boz

Post by boz »

Ah it used to, but I cleaned those up, too.

Would it be happening on every line break? I might have a few between a sentence or something.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Yes, it's not precise. Say you've set Max Lines to 3. Then you add these dialogue entries:

A1
A2

B1
B2

C1
C2
At this point, the subtitle panel will contain:

A1
A2
B1
B2
C1
C2
which is already more than 3 "lines," although it's 3 subtitles.

When you then play this subtitle:

D1
D2
It will remove up to the first line break:

A2
B1
B2
C1
C2
D1
D2
To address this in 2.2.41, subtitle panels will now observe how many line breaks are in each subtitle, instead of counting each subtitle as a single "line."