How do i make the UI use the correct subtitle panel?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
FunkyBoi

How do i make the UI use the correct subtitle panel?

Post by FunkyBoi »

I am setting up multiple NPCs in my 2d game
So far, the dialogues work correctly for all of them, but for some reason one of the NPCs only speaks to me via the "PC subtitle panel" instead of "NPC subtitle panel" in the UI
How would i fix that?
I am attaching a sample of how the dialogues look like and my current "start conversation settings"
scroll the imgur link attached to see both

thank you
Tony Li

Re: How do i make the UI use the correct subtitle panel?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If you inspect that NPC's Actor in the Dialogue Editor's Actors section, is "Is Player" ticked? If so, untick it.

If it's not ticked, then inspect the conversation. Are the primary participants set to the Player actor and Boris? The watermark in the lower right will show the primary actor and conversant. You can also view and change the primary participants by selecting Menu > Conversation properties in the upper right or by clicking blank canvas space.

If either participant is set to Player, that's fine. There are thee ways to proceed:

1. On your Dialogue System Trigger, UNassign Conversation Actor or Conversation Conversant, whichever corresponds to the Conversation Properties > Actor or Conversant dropdown that's set to the Player actor. If your second NPC is assigned to this Dialogue System Trigger field, it will "stand in" for the player, and so it will use the player's subtitle panel. For more info on this, see Character GameObject Assignments.

2. Or, in Conversation Properties, change the dropdown from Player to the other NPC.

3. Or, if the conversation involves both NPCs and the player, inspect any dialogue entry nodes that are currently assigned to the Player (they'll be blue by default) and change their Actor dropdowns to the second NPC.
FunkyBoi

Post by FunkyBoi »

Hi, thank you for your response
I was able to resolve it by deleting the NPC actor, creating a new one and assigning it to the existing conversation

Prior to that, I created the NPC actor before starting the conversation, so that might've been what caused the issue
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad you got it working! :-)