"Return to hub node" beaviour, but don't display initial hub text

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
apocrypha1

"Return to hub node" beaviour, but don't display initial hub text

Post by apocrypha1 »

Hi, sorry for the confusingly worded question.

What I'm looking for is a behavior in dialogues that can be seen in games like Disco Elysium and other CRPGs. I'm gonna try to explain the sort of behavior I'm looking to have.

Basically, I have a dialogue that, when started, displays node A: "This is the first node."

From here, I can select three nodes, B, C and D, all of which display 3 dialogue entries before linking back to node A. Let's say that node B has, as it's last dialogue entry the sentence "Now select a new option!"

What I want to happen is for the dialogue UI do display the initial dialogue options again WITHOUT displaying "This is the first node". Instead, I want for the UI to display "Now select a new option!" and present the player with the same dialogue options as when they first initiated the dialogue.

Is this sort of behavior present already in some way, or would I need to create custom logic for it? And if so, what would the best approach be?

Sorry again if this is very confusing, I hope I explained it well enough. Thanks in advance!
Tony Li

Re: "Return to hub node" beaviour, but don't display initial hub text

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Use a group node. (Tick the node's Group checkbox.) Then link the group node back to the choices:

groupNode.png
groupNode.png (39.71 KiB) Viewed 257 times

This is often done in combination with setting the Dialogue Manager's Input Settings > [em#] Tag for Old Response to gray out choices that the player has already made.
apocrypha1

Post by apocrypha1 »

Ah, well that was simpler than expected. Thanks a lot for the detailed answer!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!