Need a few tips

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
LilGames

Need a few tips

Post by LilGames »

Hello. First off, let me say how amazing this asset is. It does so much more than I expected, it's almost a shame I will be using it just for some basic story-telling. :mrgreen:

I did the quick start, and got a basic demo going. I was hoping I could get some brief "pointings" (not pointers but pointing to where I should be looking for the following):

1. I want to do the type of dialogue like in your Asset Store's screen shot with the character saying "What a pretty dragon!". The closest to this I could find was the "VN" UI but that's meant to be for "Visual Novel", yes? Which template UI is used for that example of yours?

2. Is there a simple way to add a second node of grey NPC text without it switching to a "Blue" player node when i select Add Child Node? I worked around this by creating a child node of <START>, deleting the link, and then re-linking Nodes under another grey one but there must be a quicker way via menu?

3. When I have more than one grey node chained together, how do I control the TIME between showing these texts? Seems to default to about 3 seconds and then it auto-shows the next node. Also, can this be set to wait for a player click instead?

4. Do you have more demo scenes with these other styles of dialogue UI? The ones included (demo1 and demo2) are fantastic but clearly for a very different kind of game than one that shows JRPG style story and interaction.
dialogues1.png
dialogues1.png (47.46 KiB) Viewed 231 times

Thanks for your time!
Tony Li

Re: Need a few tips

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks for using the Dialogue System!
LilGames wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:18 am1. I want to do the type of dialogue like in your Asset Store's screen shot with the character saying "What a pretty dragon!". The closest to this I could find was the "VN" UI but that's meant to be for "Visual Novel", yes? Which template UI is used for that example of yours?
It's just a reskin of the VN template. You can use any of the provided templates for any kind of game. This one's only called "VN" because it's visually styled similar to UIs in VNs. You can use any dialogue UI template for any type of game, or create your own dialogue UI from scratch if you prefer.

If you're interested in using animated portraits, see Dialogue UI Tutorial 3 - Animated Portraits. More info: All Dialogue UI tutorials.
LilGames wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:18 am2. Is there a simple way to add a second node of grey NPC text without it switching to a "Blue" player node when i select Add Child Node? I worked around this by creating a child node of <START>, deleting the link, and then re-linking Nodes under another grey one but there must be a quicker way via menu?
To swap the speaker (actor) and listener (conversant) of an existing node, inspect it and click the up/down arrow button to the right of the Actor & Conversant dropdowns.

To create a new node using the same actor (e.g., NPC) as the previous node, hold down the Shift key while right-clicking on a node and selecting Create Child Node. More info: Node Editor.
LilGames wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:18 am3. When I have more than one grey node chained together, how do I control the TIME between showing these texts? Seems to default to about 3 seconds and then it auto-shows the next node. Also, can this be set to wait for a player click instead?
When the Dialogue System shows the text of a node, it shows it as a "subtitle" and plays the cutscene sequence commands in the node's Sequence field. A subtitle stays onscreen for the duration of its Sequence. If the Sequence field is blank, it uses the Dialogue Manager GameObject's Display Settings > Camera & Cutscene Settings > Default Sequence, which is initially set to: Delay({{end}}). This delays for the duration specified by the keyword {{end}}, which is based on the text length and the values of Subtitle Settings > Min Subtitle Seconds and Subtitle Chars Per Second.

Note: If you changed the Dialogue Manager's Display Settings > Subtitle Settings > Continue Button to a mode such as Always, the conversation won't advance until the player clicks the dialogue UI's continue button.

More info: Cutscene Sequences

Related: How To: Bypass Response Menu When Player Has One Choice
LilGames wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:18 am4. Do you have more demo scenes with these other styles of dialogue UI? The ones included (demo1 and demo2) are fantastic but clearly for a very different kind of game than one that shows JRPG style story and interaction.
The Dialogue System Extras page has several example scenes that you could try out.
LilGames

Post by LilGames »

Thank you Tony! Excellent tips! I'm still amazed at how much this asset can do!!!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!