Conversation with multiple actors and text panels

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
7ports

Conversation with multiple actors and text panels

Post by 7ports »

Hi Pixel Crushers folks.

I've been using dialogue system for unity on my current project, and I'm looking to have conversations that involve multiple actors, some of which will only speak in specific text UIs (i.e. aside from the normal dialogue text panel there will be a thought bubble of sorts where this particular actor's lines will be displayed).

This being said I have some questions as to how I might be able to achieve this.

1. Can you associate a particular actor with a specific text UI or subtitle panel? I can see that multiple subtitle panels can be added to the standard dialogue UI component, but I'm unsure how to configure it such that this actor uses the correct text UI and subtitle panel.

2. Is there a way for specific actors to speak asynchronously in conversation? It would be ideal if this was also possible but its not necessary
Tony Li

Re: Conversation with multiple actors and text panels

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
7ports wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:19 pm1. Can you associate a particular actor with a specific text UI or subtitle panel? I can see that multiple subtitle panels can be added to the standard dialogue UI component, but I'm unsure how to configure it such that this actor uses the correct text UI and subtitle panel.
When adding your additional subtitle panels to the StandardDialogueUI component's Conversation UI Elements > Subtitle Panels list, note their element numbers. These are their subtitle panel numbers.

Add a Dialogue Actor component to the GameObject associated with the actor. (See Character GameObject Assignments.) Set the Dialogue Actor's Actor dropdown, and set Dialogue UI Settings > Subtitle Panel Number to the subtitle panel number you want the actor to use.

If you want an actor to use a different subtitle panel for a single dialogue entry, include the [panel=#] markup tag in the entry's Dialogue Text.

If you want to switch an actor to a different subtitle panel ongoing, use the SetPanel() sequencer command.
7ports wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:19 pm2. Is there a way for specific actors to speak asynchronously in conversation? It would be ideal if this was also possible but its not necessary.
Sort of. While a conversation is technically only ever on one dialogue entry at a time, you can kick off sequencer commands such as Audio() and other effects that continue to play while the conversation immediately progresses to the next entry.
7ports

Post by 7ports »

This is extremely helpful, thank you very much.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!
cupntea

Post by cupntea »

Sorry for returning this thread.
I need to perform the same, different Subtitle Panels assigned to different actors.
I duplicated NPC Subtitle Panel and renamed it to "NPC2 Subtitle Panel".
subtitle2.jpg
subtitle2.jpg (23.41 KiB) Viewed 807 times
Then I added it to to Subtitle Panels in Basic Standard Dialogue UI > Standard Dialogue UI
subtitle3.jpg
subtitle3.jpg (61.3 KiB) Viewed 807 times
To my renamed "NPC2 Subtitle Panel" I add a "Dialogue Actor" component and Select Actor in drop-down menu and Panel number under Subtitle Panel Number
subtitle4.jpg
subtitle4.jpg (47.31 KiB) Viewed 807 times
After that, I press Play and all dialogues (despite different actors) are still being played in the default Subtitle Panel (Default).
What am I doing wrong?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

> To my renamed "NPC2 Subtitle Panel" I add a "Dialogue Actor" component and Select Actor in drop-down menu and Panel number under Subtitle Panel Number

Do not add Dialogue Actor to the subtitle panel. Add it to the actor's GameObject. Example:

dialogueActor.png
dialogueActor.png (71.91 KiB) Viewed 803 times

Make sure the actor's GameObject is used for the conversation. See: Character GameObject Assignments