Creating folders in dialogue database ?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
shredingskin

Creating folders in dialogue database ?

Post by shredingskin »

I'm doing this game with articy and it imports flow fragments as "folders/chapters".

Is there a way to separate things like this ?

I'm planning to do stuff inside unity and then merging the databases with the articy ones, so I don't have a workflow to work with both at the same time.

Is there something like it, or is there a workflow to work more efficiently with both ?
Tony Li

Re: Creating folders in dialogue database ?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If you're using articy, I recommend writing all your dialogue database content in articy so it's all in one place.

That doesn't answer your question, though. I don't quite understand what you want to separate. Do you want to separate folders/chapters into separate dialogue databases?
shredingskin

Post by shredingskin »

I'm talking about how DS organizes flow fragments of articy inside of folders, so it's easier to navigate/choose dialogues.

I'm just thinking of doing a separate database with all the dialogue I write "on the run" inside unity, then merging it with the articy database, so I don't have to do the jump to articy and then reimport.

Also, by default DS doesn't link the imported dialogues with the start node, is there a way to configure it ?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

For what you describe, merging sounds like the way to go. If you want to create folders/chapters in the Dialogue System's Dialogue Editor, just put a forward slash in the conversation's Title, such as "Chapter 1/Introduction".

The Dialogue System's articy Converter should link dialogues with the START node. Take a look at the example articy project in Examples/Feature Demo/Articy Feature Demo. It's in a zip file. The project as a whole is kind of outdated -- the project in Prefabs/Articy Template is a much better starter template -- but the Feature Demo project demonstrates how to set up a dialogue so the START node is linked properly. Note that version 1.5.8 introduced support for Jumps between dialogues.
shredingskin

Post by shredingskin »

Thank you didn't know that / did create those.

I've reimported the database, but yeah, all the conversations don't have the start link. They all have the "START[END]" node, and the conversation alone.

Any idea what can be causing this behaviour ?

I'm using DS 1.5.8, articy v2.5.4 and unity 1.3.1

It's not a big problem, but it wastes some time linking all the start nodes.

EDIT: I looked and I haven't been linking the dialogues inside Articy, now it's working as intended, sorry to bother.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

No problem! Sounds like it's all working now. If any other questions come up, just let me know!