Reordering Actor fields in the Inspector?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
jksleary

Reordering Actor fields in the Inspector?

Post by jksleary »

Quick query on reordering actor fields - I can reorder the order actor variable fields appear in the template and successfully apply the changes to the actors in the database.
However, only new actors added to the database after this point display the fields in the correct (reordered) order in the inspector. Any actors I created originally with the original order of fields still display them in the original order in the inspector, despite applying changes from the template to all the assets.

Is there any way to change this behaviour and have the template update the assets so that their fields will appear in the new order in the inspector?
I already have 90+ actors in the database and would like to have the ability to reorder variables in semantic groups when I want to add a new variable but don't have a predefined exhaustive list of all variable types and the semantic order I would like them in.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,

john
Tony Li

Re: Reordering Actor fields in the Inspector?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi John,

That's a good idea. There's no automatic way to do it in the current version, and I understand manually dragging around field positions in 90+ actors would be maddening. I'll try to get that implemented in version 2.2.17.
jksleary

Re: Reordering Actor fields in the Inspector?

Post by jksleary »

Cheers Tony. I will hold off on trying it manually!
Another argument for the change is that currently
if you ever do alter the order of fields in a template after adding actors to the database (or god forbid do this multiple times) you can end up with multiple actors with the same fields, but all of which appear in different order in the inspector which is super annoying if you want to check/edit values of fields on multiple actors.

Thanks again for the quick response